Thread: How do you make tongue & groove boards

Blog Entries

Question How do you make tongue & groove boards

I have to make a few tongue & groove boards for the back of a Welsh Dresser I'm making. I'm thinking I'll do them on my table saw with a dado blade. Is that the best way? Might a router table (I only have a very small table) be better? The boards I'll be working on will be 3/4" thick & 4 feet long,
    Thanks
    Dennis

I'd do them on the table saw. The only way I'd do them on the router table is if I was using a matched tongue & groove router bit set and those are sorta pricey...at least the Whiteside version.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

Quote Originally Posted by dennis thompson View Post
    I have to make a few tongue & groove boards for the back of a Welsh Dresser I'm making. I'm thinking I'll do them on my table saw with a dado blade. Is that the best way? Might a router table (I only have a very small table) be better? The boards I'll be working on will be 3/4" thick & 4 feet long,
    Thanks
    Dennis
    Dennis, a shaper with a power feeder is the best way in my opinion.

If you don't have a shaper, a dado cutter in the table saw will work just fine.

Using feather boards to hold it against the fence when cutting the groove is a good idea.

Regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by dennis thompson View Post
    Thanks
    Dennis
    Can you do half laps or is tongue and groove necessary? T&G is easy on a shaper or router with a matched set.Its certainly possible on the router table or TS without specific tooling, but its more set ups. For just a few boards I guess any method will work. i like the half laps on a TS with a dado for ease of set up.

If you do them on the tablesaw, setup a 1/4 dado and get the fence set so the dado is pretty close to the center. Run the board through twice - once with each face against the fence. Featherboards would be good to use. This guarantees that the groove is centered.

Then go about cutting the tongues and sneak up on the fit. When doing that remember to dado both sides of the tongue and then test the fit.

Check out the last picture, very nice rear view:

http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.p...76127#poststop