Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Router lift

Which Router lift

Hi guys (and gals),

I'm in the process of building a new route table. I'm tired of fighting my table for perfect results. I am going to buy a router lift to go in it. I have a PC690 router, but I will likely be buying a new one, but haven't decided on which one yet. I'm leaning toward the Milwaukee 5625, or maybe a Triton. It looks like the lift prices run in the $300 range, which I'm OK with. I want to buy it once but I want it to be able to work with any router I put in it for years to come.

I've searched the internet, but I don't see a lot of discussion about which is the one to get. Do any of you have an opinion. Again, I want it to work with any router I might want to put in it. I've looked at Bench Dog, Jessem, Kreg, Incra, and others. I just don't know which one to buy. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks...

Alan

If they still have them on sale I would get a Woodpecker PRL:

http://www.woodpeck.com/precisionrouterlift.html

For $200 it can't be beat. It would be my second choice at full price as I would get the PRL 2 instead (I have both).

PS the Kreg is the PRL 2 made for them by WP, between the two get the one you get a better deal on or prefer the color.
    Last edited by Van Huskey; 12-06-2010 at 10:59 PM.

I have an older Woodpeck lift and couldn't be more satisfied.

If the sale price noted by Van Huskey is still on, I'd jump on it....

Blog Entries
    Alan,

I've been looking at the woodpecker stuff. Nice fences, tables, and lifts.

PHM

I am sure you will get a lot of good information, its hard to tell you which one to buy when all I have ever owned was Jessem, I had the FX but wanted to go to a different router which I could not use in the FX so I got the new Master II.

Here is a write up on it I did when I got it, I have now used it for awhile and it is one really nice lift.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...=jessem+router

Another vote for the original PRL, its the most rugged and best made design out there. For the router, you can buy the big VS, PC motor only, no base, from a couple different places.
    Mike Harrison

So....

I've been contemplating the same thing lately. Building a router table and adding a lift.

I guess my question is, all things equal, why would you (proverbial, not the OP) not just buy a 7518 motor and stick it in the lift forever? Seems to me that all of the fancy bells and whistles of a Triton are pretty redundant if you spend the money on a good lift.

I think you'd be hard pressed to find a better router motor than that monster. I can't imagine they've changed it much in the last 45 years.

As far as a lift goes, the PRL-V2 looks like the cadilac to me, but the Jessum seems a little bit sturdier in that it has 3 posts rather than 2 (hope I'm not wrong about that).
    Last edited by Russell Smallwood; 12-06-2010 at 11:46 PM.

Blog Entries
    PRL and 5625 for years. Love 'em both. Ordered another PRL as they're on clearance and I couldn't stand the thought of not being able to get another one ;-) The dual guide posts combined with two screws for even adjustment stress of the carriage is rock solid.

The automatic lock is the one feature that really sold me on this machine. I passed on the quick-lift feature as you lose the auto-lock and the dual screw lift but, have heard my thinking was in error from folks who own both. They say that they are happy with both so, listen to their experience, not my guess.

My solution to the speed of bit raising was $12 at Costco:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 12-07-2010 at 9:36 AM.

I have a eight-seven year old Bench Dog Prolift, very solid American iron, which cannot be beat. If you can find an older one, buy it, Woodpecker would be my second choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Smallwood View Post
    So....

As far as a lift goes, the PRL-V2 looks like the cadilac to me, but the Jessum seems a little bit sturdier in that it has 3 posts rather than 2 (hope I'm not wrong about that).
    The Jessem just has 2 large post, the other one is the screw to raise it or lower it.

One of the really great things about the new Jessem is the fact that it will hold just about any router made today.

I would sugest the Incra Master R Lift. Solid 3/8" aluminum plate. You'll love the metal center plates that are held in by rare earth magnets. They are also height adjustable. Made from sturdy metal not plastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Huber View Post
    The Jessem just has 2 large post, the other one is the screw to raise it or lower it.

One of the really great things about the new Jessem is the fact that it will hold just about any router made today.
    Ah, okay. My mistake. Thanks Bill.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    I'm very happy with my Bench Dog. It is very sturdy and the plate is nickel plated steel - sag proof with even the biggest router.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

PRL-2

Great lift.
    I suppose I would get the new iteration with the sidewinder handle if purchasing today.

Under no circumstances would I forgo the quick lift feature of these lifts. My RL is mounted in a TS out feed table/work island. Getting the bit out of the way fast plus pulling up to surface for bit changes and additional cuts is of high value for me. It makes the work flow issues of a multi purpose island fairly seamless.

I have a 2x particle board top with the RL just dropped in. I fit it up nice but had intended putting threaded inserts and screwing it down etc. It's very solid as it. I used a marine engine box soundproofing material in the box and it helps to keep the noise levels down.
    I am using the PC 7518 VS and would look no further for a solid unit in a RL.
    I have the full set of inserts in AL that Woodpecker offered that one more time a while back. All in all a perfectly faultless setup.
    Last edited by Tom Rick; 12-07-2010 at 7:53 AM.

I'm happy with a PRL-V2 w/Milwaukee Router