Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just ordered a Thomas compressor. Did I make a mistake?

That should read, "Now if the company does'nt fold up shop or turn to crap I should be happy". More coffee please.

s

I think Thomas makes a very good compressor and I have used one for a few years now. Mine is like yours but with a Honda Engine driving the compressor. I needed a good dependable, long life, compact, compressor that I can use Impact Tools with when working on equipment in the fields i.e., John Deere tractors and the like and this one does very well. Yes there are others that can do this but I liked all I heard about Thomas. I think you made a good purchase!
    Leo

I purchased a Makita 2400 and use it to run a 25" SCM Widebelt sander.

Technically, its air requirements are maxed out, but I am constantly impressed by how it keeps up. Its very quiet and I would buy it again tomorrow.

Wow! That's a lot of money for a little compressor. I bought a gently used (8 month old) 60 Gallon vertical for $300. My shop is not any bigger than yours.

cancel the order

I would be a bit afraid of buying a Thomas Compressor today with the issues that seem to exist. BTW there are several different lines of Thomas Compressors. The one you picked out is in the Air-Pac line.

I have bought a number of different compressors in different businesses and feel pretty comfortable matching up need with compressor. They range from Senco PC1010 to 25HP IR Screw.

If it wasn't for those issues, the one you picked out is a wonderful unit for its intended use, which is 100% duty cycle use on a jobsite where it has the highest output available that will run on 120v and 12ga extension cords and can be lifted in and out of a truck by one person.

That doesn't quite match your needs, nor mine. I have a shop at home in 600ft, where space and noise are at a premium. For that I ended up using a Makita MAC2400, which is a few pounds heavier. It works well and is half the price of the Thomas. Slightly less air capacity at 100psi but the same at 90psi. Still very quiet - real world is about the same. Will last a long time under heavy use but not quite as long as the Thomas Air-Pac series.

The other one that might fit your needs is the IR Garage Mate, which is a bit more capacity than the one you picked out but certainly won't go on a shelf - unless you have a really strong shelf and help getting it there. Don't look at the largest Makita, it sacrifices noise for more capacity.

BTW, Sound ratings are not real world since they don't include how irritating the sound is to humans.

Blog Entries
    I've got a Speedaire. I bought ir from Graingers about 20 years ago. No problems with it at all. When it goes I would look to either get it rebuilt or buy a similar one.

It's 20 gallon, 120 Volt, and very quiet.

PHM

New member here, and sorry to dig up an old thread. Maybe I can shed some light on Thomas based on what I have heard, (and first hand experience).
    Their plant in Wisconson was a union plant and Thomas got bought out by ???, forget the name. New owners got a good tax deal in non union Louisiana and had the union people pack up the plant for relocation. They would all loose their jobs as soon as the plant was shipped off. Just guessing how well the packing was done. This happened over a year ago and none of their dealers had any idea about what was going to happen, or how bad it would get. From what I know they are still having huge problems getting ANY product out the door. I was told that they wanted to change to a faster/leaner manufacturing method and the union shot them down. So they have the union pack up the plant and they move down south and not only try to reassemble the plant, but go to a different system as well. All to be done by mostly new people?

Did I just spend $600 foolishly?
    I don't think so though I have concerns. imho the T-2820ST is one of the best if not the best portable compressors on the market- quiet, great output and recovery time. It will run fine on a 15 amp circuit and if you happen to use it outside in the cold it will start fine at low temps. I've have a T-200ST Renegade for about six years and have been very pleased with it; at the time the T-2820 was a bit beyond my reach money wise.

I'm not exactly sure what's going on with Thomas businesswise. They're owned by Gardner-Denver, the same folks that make the big compressors. Last year they decided to consolidate operations in, Monroe, LA. From a press release-

Gardner Denver, Inc. Announces Manufacturing Consolidation ProjectQUINCY, IL, Apr 13, 2009 (MARKET WIRE via COMTEX) -- Gardner Denver, Inc. (NYSE: GDI) announced the consolidation of the North American manufacturing operations of its compressor and vacuum pumps used in OEM applications into its Monroe, Louisiana facility. Production from the Company's Sheboygan, Wisconsin operations will be transferred to Louisiana over the next twelve months. The project is expected to be completed by March 31, 2010. Mr. Barry Pennypacker, President and Chief Executive Officer of Gardner Denver, said, "Although a number of factors influenced the decision to consolidate production in Monroe, our primary focus was to ensure the long-term competitiveness of the business by continuing to drive cost and inefficiencies out of the operations, while increasing our flexibility through the implementation of the Gardner Denver Way. Reaching a decision to close the Sheboygan operation was difficult and we deeply regret the impact that this closure will have on our Sheboygan employees and the local community. In the long-term, we believe this consolidation positions us with the best business solution and is in the best interests of Gardner Denver and its shareholders. We appreciate the effort and commitment demonstrated by state and local government agencies, as well as the extensive employee support received in both Wisconsin and Louisiana.
    "As part of moving the operations to Monroe, the state of Louisiana, through its Rapid Response Fund Grant, will reimburse Gardner Denver for most of the costs incurred in relocating its equipment and personnel from Sheboygan, provide annual payroll and sales tax rebates through its Quality Jobs Program and facilitate employee recruitment and training through its Louisiana FastStart Program. The City of Monroe will assist in the construction of a new 124,000 square foot manufacturing facility adjoining our existing manufacturing operation."
    The Company currently employs approximately 366 people in Sheboygan, including approximately 280 in manufacturing operations and related support functions, and 76 people in Monroe

Pure speculation on my part but I suspect it has taken longer than they planned to build the factory addition and get up and running. They could have at least done a better job of keeping its customers updated. That said, a light, quiet T-617HDN is on my wish list for trim work.
    Last edited by John Callahan; 12-10-2010 at 4:16 PM.