Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Learning Bench (Pics)-(LONG)

YoDaMan John

John, really OUTSTANDING work! Looks very solid,and functional. I have the same top and built my own underpinnings etc w 4X4 posts and 2" rails and many M/Ts but mine doesn't look even 1/2 as professional or solid as yours. I like the way you incorporated the dowels and the plane rack. Great job! You'll enjoy it on your next project!!
    Jerry

Very nice work John
    Just Remember.....No Matter Where You Go.......There You Are

A great BIG thanks for all of your kind words! You are most generous. Like I said before, a learning process and I guess I'm kinda' proud of the fact that it went along with very few mistakes, and those were minor and/or easily corrected.

Roy, yes, the legs are attached to the top via two cross-braces on the bottom of the top. One was there, I added one on the other end, again out of Hard Maple.

Oh, and for those of you guys saying it will be years before you "can build one like it", I beg to differ with you. I've seen some of your work and I'm the one who feels like I'm playing "catch-up"! Heck, if All-Thumbs here can do it, ANYone of you can! Thanks again!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Looks strong and purdy too. Good job, John.

Lou
    Procrastination.......

Maybe I'll think about that tomorrow

WOW! Don't really know what else to say, Spring. You have managed to create a wonderful work station. I hope you will allow me to borrow some of your ideas when I do my bench. I've already started to figure out if I want to make mine [I do have enough Maple I think] or buy the top and build a base.

Thanks for the inspiration and details on the build.
    Creeker Visits. They're the best.

John: The bench looks great, your fit and finish is superb. I especially, like the way you set your planes. They are right where you need them.

Joe

John....very nice work on your bench! I like the contrasting dowels a lot.

Great bench John....

Hi John,

Just wanted to say "Great Bench". Many woodworkers choose to make their own tops and I see that you took the direction of purchasing your top.

Here at the magazine, we get many requests for a workbench project. Everytime I go over the economics of it, I come to the same conclusion, a purchased top is your best value. With the purchased top you get, good quality materials, a flat surface, and good vices, all around a good combination of value and quality.

You have done a great job of adding your personal touch to it with your base and your pane rack.

Enjoy it!

Chris DeHut

John,

Great project and nice write up, now what we need is a full blown shop tour!

Yeah, I recall the day you pulled the W&H out of the forrest, let's see all the additions from last year...

John

Many thanks again, for the additional comments! Man, you make a guy's head sweal! Fun project and lots learned!

Chris, that's pretty much the conclusion I came to, as well. That, plus the fact that, I'm a slo-o-o-o-o-ow woodworker, still learning as I go. Had it been necessary for me to make the top, as well as the base, it may have been next Summer before completion!

Karl, "steal" any ideas you like. I can send you detailed pics of things in particular, if that would help.

John, yeah I know....Shop tour. When I get the place tidied up a bit! (Ahhhhh, that means it may be a WHILE! ).

Now I just need to complete projects worthy of the bench!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Nice work, John, You will use it with pleasure for many years to come.
    Alan

Thumbs up

So much for claiming you "don't know how!" Very nice execution.
    If sawdust were gold, I'd be rich!

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1

one more reason!!

well john you just gave me one more reason to come see ya!! the first was the mention of a barbucue with your D-C friend very nice and you do deserve all your credits. so dont know when but this yankee is comin yur way/ great job john.
    If in Doubt? Build it Stought!

Hi John,

great job and good-looking bench.
    Although I'm not a big fan of storage under the workbench you concept inspires me to design me a useful storage under my workbench.
    How do you like the Sjöbergs top? I have anolder Sjöbergs bench with square dog holes and like its versatility. But sometimes I wish the top would be heavier.
    Do you always retract the blades of your planes before storing them? Just a thought, how about attaching some kind of blanket (this stuff which is often used for jewelry chest) to the plane shelf?
    Did I see your Systainer collection in the background of the second pic?

Regards,

Christian
    "On Wednesday, when the sky is blue,
    And I have nothing else to do,
    I sometimes wonder if it's true
    That who is what and what is who."

(A.A. Milne, Winnie the Pooh)

John.......That looks so GREAT!!!!!!! Man.....I'm jealous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats on a job well done my friend. I would LOVE to have a bench like that. One day soon....I hope!!!!
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.