Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: where to get logs

where to get logs

I would like to do a couple of projects from log to finished piece and I was wondering where do you get your lumber from. I am in central florida and there is not a lot of lumber yards around. None that sell whole logs that I could bust in to planks so is there an online source?

Thanks in advance

Unfortunately I can't help with the question of where to easily get logs (it's never really come up as a problem for me, western Washington is a log-rich environment), but the first thing that leaps to mind is how obscenely expensive it would be to transport a log further than a county or so.

Jared

PS: If anyone tries to sell you a tree this month, make sure it's not fiber-optic or covered with flocking.

You might try the guys that do tree work. I don't know about Florida but here in New England they sometimes have trouble getting rid of wood if it's too big to chip. I have a small saw mill and folks are always offering me logs from trees they had taken down.

I doubt you'll find an online source for the size of log your looking for for hand work.
    We use to buy logs from 'log auctions'. Here is Australia we have a newspaper called The Land, and it has notifications for sales on everything agricultural, forestry etc.

You may have a similar paper in the US but i doubt they would be close to you in Florida.
    If you've not handled logs before you'll want to stay around the 1 foot wide as green logs are heavy, and once you get to about two feet across and 4-6 feet long you'll need to be set of for it (machinery etc ) or just have a death wish and a huge physical therapy bill.

Steve
    Steven Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Neal Wells View Post
    You might try the guys that do tree work. I don't know about Florida but here in New England they sometimes have trouble getting rid of wood if it's too big to chip. I have a small saw mill and folks are always offering me logs from trees they had taken down.

Plus one on a local tree service.

There are some mighty nice "urban" trees being taken down daily. Typically, tree service companies cut the tree down into short lengths(for ease of felling and handling)but if you have a prior arrangement with them, they might be inclined to leave some longer trunk lengths.

Some tree service companies sell logs and resawn lumber from logs as a sideline business.

The other day I went to the bank and saw a tree trimmers truck with a load full of split cherry, apple and pecan. Yes, a tree trimming service is the way to go. I passed it up because I just don't have the room for it right now...but I'm working on that!

Quote Originally Posted by dave hunt View Post
    I would like to do a couple of projects from log to finished piece and I was wondering where do you get your lumber from. I am in central florida and there is not a lot of lumber yards around. None that sell whole logs that I could bust in to planks so is there an online source?

Thanks in advance

I think busting logs into planks may well turn out to be extremely difficult due to grain irregularity,twist in trees,knots,etc. Maybe sawing into planks is a better option. You may just end up with a bunch of split rail fence rails.

I've seen some guys do some amazingly accurate and fast splitting with froes, and even with long hardwood wedges. It can be accurate enough to not even have to plane it if it is not going to be seen, like the underside of a box. Not too long ago I watched a video where a guy made a little rustic chair with nothing but a froe, hewing axe and a drawknife to dimension the planks. Adding the fun of turning on the pole lathe is what it's all about to me.

I picked up a whole bunch of pine logs a few years ago that I split into blocks for turning and planks for planing. I had never done anything like that, and if I had to do it over again (which I will) I would do A LOT of things differently, but I'm definitely into spending a few years to learn proper "log to furniture" techniques. It's that damn drying time and splitting that screwed me up the first time. Unless you count the value of "experience", I wasted a crap load of time and energy on dimensioning wood that was just about useless in no time.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    I think busting logs into planks may well turn out to be extremely difficult due to grain irregularity,twist in trees,knots,etc. Maybe sawing into planks is a better option. You may just end up with a bunch of split rail fence rails.
    Last edited by john brenton; 12-07-2010 at 11:36 PM.

It of course depends upon how straight the grain is,how free of knots,and if the tree grew in a spiral,as I mentioned. In Williamsburg,lots of log splitting goes on. And,it depends upon how long you need the pieces to be.Old time chair bodgers would go into the woods and split out wood for chair legs,rungs,etc.,and spend the Summer turning the green wood on a woods erected spring pole lathe. They didn't need long pieces,and of course,were experienced.
    Last edited by george wilson; 12-07-2010 at 11:11 PM.

Of course I know you already knew everything I said in that post. I just used it as a springboard to get thoughts out of my head and into words. I don't know what the OP wanted the logs for, but in my case I don't think I'd be looking to split anything longer than 4'..probably 3' will do most everything I'd use it for and still leave room for checking when drying. I'm not looking to make dining room tables, just little things like next on my list is a little tea party table and chair set for my daughter. That's the kind of thing I really want to make from a log.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    It of course depends upon how straight the grain is,how free of knots,and if the tree grew in a spiral,as I mentioned. In Williamsburg,lots of log splitting goes on. And,it depends upon how long you need the pieces to be.Old time chair bodgers would go into the woods and split out wood for chair legs,rungs,etc.,and spend the Summer turning the green wood on a woods erected spring pole lathe. They didn't need long pieces,and of course,were experienced.
    Last edited by john brenton; 12-07-2010 at 11:33 PM.

Blog Entries
    Hay dave where in Florida are you? I'm in Tampa. I know at the last woodcrafters meeting they were talking about a company that sets up and saws salvaged urban lumber. I can't remember the name... Not even sure if it would help.

I would also contact the local try trimming companies. Those guys dispose of more logs then you would imagine.
    Andrew Gibson
    Program Manger and Resident Instructor
    Florida School Of Woodwork

[QUOTE=dave hunt;1578237]I would like to do a couple of projects from log to finished piece and I was wondering where do you get your lumber from. I am in central florida and there is not a lot of lumber yards around. None that sell whole logs that I could bust in to planks so is there an online source?

Dave,

I would check with the local street departments, construction contractors, utility companies, and tree services. Btw, the folks that sell and sharpen saw chains could give you leads. You may need to search several local counties.

Bob Haverstock

I've done small log-to-lumber projects starting with firewood.

Making a raised panel box to hold a Kleenex box is a complete project (panel raising, M&T, panel glue-up), and can be done from a piece or two of firewood.
    AKA - "The human termite"

Thanks for all the advise. I wanted to make some small boxes and stuff like that. It would be fun to do the whole project by hand. I have seen it done a few time on Roy's show and I would like to give it a try. The oak that I have tried was not very straight grained and it did not turn out well.

I live in Brevard county and there is not a lot of options around here.

finding logs

Dave,
    I've had the best luck with log brokers, people who acquire logs from loggers and then distribute them. That is how I was able to get red oak in Upstate New York for chair making. The biggest trick is getting the logs in and out of a pickup. In my case I had them lower the 14 inch diameter logs into my pickup and then I slid them out. I looked for an 11 foot straight section because that is what I needed. Your definitely need a chain saw to cut the sections into workable lengths or 4-5 feet.

Also, when people know that you use/work with logs, word gets around. Recently, I was blessed to acquire some walnut and maple logs and it was because word got out that I make chair parts with them. Once you get the logs split, the trick is to get two sides square so you can dimension it into blanks. There is something very gratifying about turning what would be firewood into usable stock. I am pretty much focused on making turning blanks.

Blessings,
    Jim Paulson