Thread: Furnace Thermostate that controls fan

Furnace Thermostate that controls fan

Hey everyone,

I am looking for a thermostat where I can program the fan to run continuously at certain times of the day. My house is much more comfortable when the fan runs continuously but I don't want it to run when I'm not home, etc.

My furnace has a variable speed dc fan (Carrier infinity series).

Anyone have a thermostat they like?
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

We just got a Honeywell IAQ series thermostat as part of our heat pump installation. Very nice and one of the things available to control in the schedule is the fan mode--on, auto, and circulate which runs the fan a certain percentage of the time. So you program the fan for On state during the periods you are normally home and the auto state for your away periods.

It has some other nice features like the fact that its backlit and easily readable and has a touch screen so you aren't using 2-3 buttons to navigate complex menus. Our contractor even wired it to control the humidifier so we are actually controlling to % set point that is measured the living area's humidity rather than the humidity in the return air duct using a questionable dial.

I believe ProThermostats.com has them. I ordered something else from them earlier this year.

Check out proliphix.com I bought the NT20e a couple years ago now and have been really happy with it. It connects to the internet and you can control any function awhile away. It has a load of features. The NT20e doesn't allow you to create a fan only schedule, but I saw they just released a newer IMT350w and one of the feature is fan scheduling. These also support multiple sensor input to monitor outdoor temperature or other rooms.

Here is a link to the 350. Check out the product brief and configuration on the right side to view what the web interface looks like.
    http://www.proliphix.com/residential...ats-imt350.htm
    Last edited by Matthew Sherman; 12-08-2010 at 12:00 AM.

I have one of those too, in my shop. I bought it for its Ethernet capability for remote control. Standing at it, its no better than any inexpensive digital thermostat but the web interface is great. Being a computer guy, I developed my own simpliefied user interface that I can access from my phone.

The Proliphix is considerably more expensive than the Honeywell unless you find a deal on one. I found mine on Ebay from an HVAC place clearing them out. Mine was also a "pro" model so I didn't have to buy the PoE adapter because it uses the 24VAC from the furnace for power. Also the Proliphix requires you run Ethernet to the thermostat in addition to the control wiring which can be a problem for retrofits depending on where the thermostat is located in the house. I see the new one has a wireless option. The Honeywell has a module that mounts by the furnace and just uses 2 or 3 of the existing wires for communication to the display.

There is a 3rd party ethernet module available for the Honeywell but $$$.

Don't get me wrong, I like both, but for different reasons. I wouldn't like the Proliphix in the house because my wife would complain about figuring it out. And the Honeywell would be a waste over a $19.99 thermostat in the shop due to the lack of remote control. The new Proliphix line might be better with the new touch screens but to me the price is too high unless you want the remote control ability.
    Last edited by Matt Meiser; 12-08-2010 at 8:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Sherman View Post
    Check out proliphix.com I bought the NT20e a couple years ago now and have been really happy with it. It connects to the internet and you can control any function awhile away....
    A web accessible thermostat sounds cool, but I have not been able to come up with a reason I would need to access a programmable thermostat when not at home

What is the benefit? (and why do I want one, even without knowing a use for it?)

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Prosser View Post
    What is the benefit? (and why do I want one, even without knowing a use for it?)
    Living in SC you're less likely to want it as much as someone from a
    little colder climate.

If you kept the temp low when not there and were headed home and
    wanted it warmer when you got home.. bada bing.

But if you had A/C living where you do, you might keep it warmer, then
    on your way home, cool it down.. bada boom.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Edwards(2) View Post
    Living in SC you're less likely to want it as much as someone from a
    little colder climate.

If you kept the temp low when not there and were headed home and
    wanted it warmer when you got home.. bada bing.

But if you had A/C living where you do, you might keep it warmer, then
    on your way home, cool it down.. bada boom.

I already have it programmed to do that now. I guess if I did not have a programmable thermostat - it would make sense. Or, if my schedule was not the same everyday. Could be cheaper than purchasing a programmable unit. (not counting my time and having to remember to make the change.)
    So, yes - there are some benefits.
    Hope I did not take it too far off track...

I can't come up with a good one for the house other than forgetting to tun the thermostat down when leaving on vacation. And it would take a lot of times doing that to make it worthwhile.

For the shop it lets me turn the heat up/down from wherever and I've got my app set up to email me when its been up or on cool for more than 24 hours to remind me. It should result in less heating/cooling when I'm not using it and since my setback temp out there is 42, that's a big savings in gas.

For me it has come in handy when I would work OT. If I knew I wasn't going to be coming home at the usual time I would login and keep the temperature up/down depending on the season to save $$$. Depends on your situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Sherman View Post
    Depends on your situation.
    Yes, I should have said "In my case..."

A coworker of mine is putting one in has cottage, where he has DSL so he can work from there, so that he can keep an eye on things from home and turn up the heat when he heads up there in the winter.

By the way, the outside sensor I bought for my Proliphix says its 5 degrees right now

11. Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Sudmeier View Post
    Hey everyone,

I am looking for a thermostat where I can program the fan to run continuously at certain times of the day. My house is much more comfortable when the fan runs continuously but I don't want it to run when I'm not home, etc.

My furnace has a variable speed dc fan (Carrier infinity series).

Anyone have a thermostat they like?
    I use a coal stove to heat my home, the stove is in the basement and while it does keep the house nice and toasty but my air movement is not as good as it could be, a couple of cooler areas in house. I have a hot air furnace and manually turn the fan on every now and then but a bit of a pain. I ran across the info on this thermostat and figured I would give it a try. Picked it up at L's for about $48 and it is just the thing I needed... I set it to run the fan 9 minutes an hour and the house is nice and even now. Here's the link: http://luxproducts.com/thermostats/cag1500.php

I like that idea- I use my woodstove a fair amount and manually fire up my furnace fan for air circulation. Also, I don't need my A/C unit or heat for 4 months out of the year and balancing temperatures and cleaning the air would be nice.

Actually, what I would really like is a fully programmable furnace control system that I could do all that stuff without having to be constrained to certain programs. Maybe I should just make one.