Thread: DC component pricing

Blog Entries

DC component pricing

I have been researching pricing to see what I can do in my shop. I thought this thread might be useful to others that are considering the options. If you have recent numbers for your area, please enter them.

These are the best prices I found locally.

[disclaimer: I understand and really want to run 6" pipe, but that decision means a long (like a year or more) delay in doing anything, whereas 4" means I can do it now, and I subscribe to the idea that "some dust control is better than none".]

Metal duct, 6 inch, HVAC supply house
    Straight runs, cost per foot = $4.00 / foot
    Wye = $25.84 each
    T = $22.23 each

SD PVC, 6 inch, pipe supply house
    Straight runs, cost per foot = $1.31 / foot
    Wye = $14.79 each
    T = $10.36 each

SD PVC, 4 inch, pipe supply house
    Straight runs, cost per foot = $0.67 / foot
    Wye = $3.62 each
    T = $2.50 each

Clear flex, 4 inch
    Harbor freight, 10 foot lengths = $14.94

That's all I have written down/saved. I don't have depot/lowes pricing here because they seem to only carry heavier gauge 4" PVC, and the pricing is way higher than the wholesaler's pricing on the thinner SD PVC.

I hope it is useful to someone out there in DC planning hell (where I seem to permanently reside).
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)

While my HD does not carry the lighter PVC and only the heavy stuff, my Lowes carries the lighter, more dust collection friendly, PVC. Not sure how the prices compare, though.

Three things:

First, don't use T's. Horrible for airflow. Use Wye's. And when a Wye doesn't direct the next pipe where you want it, add a 45 to the part of the Wye that is already on a 45 to make a 90, OR you can get a directional T. But the former is better than the latter. Just don't use straight T's.

Second, while I do understand your point that some dust collection is better than none, if your DC can handle 6" pipe, I suggest running 6" as far as you can (the main) and do 4" drops. That way, you don't spend quite as much money as doing it all in 6" right away, but you will still benefit from a larger main. If you are running long lengths of 4", when you do the calculations, you'd be surprised how low your cfm is dropping.

If money is an issue, at it is for almost all of us, look at the big picture. If you put 4" up in your whole shop, you'll pay for all those pipes and fittings. Then when you go to change it out, what do you do with all the 4"? Even if you sell it for 50%, you still lose a bunch of money. Believe me, I've done it. And I THOUGHT I'd recoupe a bunch of my money, but after you cut up all the pipe the value of it just isn't there anymore. And you'll just want to get rid of it all.

Good luck with your dust collection project.
    I drink, therefore I am.

I attended a Camp Shopbot and they had a company come in and show what was wrong with the dust collection piping in this shop and made suggestions on how to improve it with what was there. They also talked about piping does and don'ts. They sell pipe and fittngs. Here is a link to their web site.

http://www.kencraftcompany.com/

Kencraft had the best prices when i bought my DC parts. I used them for the wide radius elbows and various fittings I couldn't get in plastic and PVC S&D for the rest.

I also used KenCraft recently (about a week ago actually) and their prices are very good. I purchased several wyes and some hose from them for my new cyclone. I still have some more stuff to purchase from them in the next few weeks or so.

I'm picking up my 6" S&D 2729 PVC from John Deere Landscapes. They were nice to ship (7) 10' sections from a store in MI to Appleton, WI so I can pick it up on the way up nort' where my shop is. $1.20/foot.

My local plumbing supply has 6" ASTM2729 pipe for about $12 for 10' pc, but their prices on fittings are way high (like $29 for a 6x6x6 wye!). So I bought the wyes I needed from McMaster Carr for about half that. However, I am still in search of 6x6x4 wyes. My local Lowe's doesn't carry them, neither does Mcmaster Carr, don't have a Menards anywhere near here and HD is about 25 miles away so haven't checked there. Anybody have a mail order source for 6x6x4 wyes reasonably priced?

Rick, are you talking about schedule 40? My Lowes carries schedule 40, but not the light weight 6". My local supplier of 6" light weight stuff is about $15 for a 6x6x6 wye, IIRC. And they have the 6x6x4's, too...occasionally.
    I drink, therefore I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cruz View Post
    Rick, are you talking about schedule 40? My Lowes carries schedule 40, but not the light weight 6". My local supplier of 6" light weight stuff is about $15 for a 6x6x6 wye, IIRC. And they have the 6x6x4's, too...occasionally.
    No the light weight stuff. I have all S&D 6" (the ASTM2729 piping). I believe the SCH40 isn't the same size (Bigger ID). I didn't ask my plumbing supplier about availabilty of getting the 6x6x4 wyes because of their price on the 6x6x6. May have to just pay it.