Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Woodriver side rabbet question?

Woodriver side rabbet question?

All right, now that I'm started, another question. The new WR side rabbet is supposed to be based on the Preston/Record design. My question is do you have to sharpen the two irons at a different angle? Having never seen one in person, it appears that this design has one iron laid over the top of the other in a criss cross pattern which to me would require different angles in sharpening. My other question is are both irons set and ready to use at all times with only a change in the depth stop to change orientation? This looks like an economical solution to a side rabbet plane since it is not used every day and I could use my big $ for a LV shoulder plane or LAJ. Just trying to make the most of my Xmas $, do ya'll think this might work?
    Thanks, Steve

Is there a picture of it somewhere, is it in a catalog?

I just goofed through their website and couldn't find it. I see two chisel planes that have the comment that the blades are Mn65 steel. Does anyone have any clue what that is? Does it have something to do with manganese?

Best I can find out about my own question is that it's silicon manganese high carbon steel.

Shows up in saws and knives from china.

then again, most people will buy a chisel plane and never find much occasion to use it for anything other than glue lines, anyway.

David, I can't find it on the I-net either but, no it's not the chisel plane, it's a side rabbet based on the Record 2506S design as described in the Dec 2010 catalog pg 2C. Since it's not an everyday user I thought it may be a place to skimp if there is such a thing.
    Thanks. Steve

The bedding angles are different so the bevel angles would have to be different to have the same cutting angle...
    aka rarebear - Hand Planes 101 - RexMill - The Resource

Blog Entries
    The only thing I can find about it is on the FWW site:

http://www.finewoodworking.com/item/...nes-take-three

My thoughts on this are that I do like my Stanley #98 & 99 side rabbets. There is a longer nose piece that is good for registration on most work. The nose piece can be flipped or removed for close work.

The depth stops are very handy. When adjusting a lot of dados, it would be inconvenient to have to keep switching the depth stop each time a change of side was wanted.

I am not sure where the Wood River tools are made, but I like to support businesses that are providing work for American workers. Of course, opinions vary on this point.

The Veritas side rabbet at LV is only $129 if you like two in one design. It aslo appears to be better designed than the WR. That is about the price you would be lucky to score a pair of Stanley side rabbets.

What is the price of the Wood River side rabbet?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    Is there a picture of it somewhere, is it in a catalog?

I just goofed through their website and couldn't find it. I see two chisel planes that have the comment that the blades are Mn65 steel. Does anyone have any clue what that is? Does it have something to do with manganese?
    I can't even find their website anymore. Stupid search engines.

Pam

Jim, yes you have to change the depth stop just like the LV side rabbet and I realize it is not in the same league as the LV but since it is a limited use plane, I figured it would be a better place to save a $ than elsewhere. I also want a skew block and a shoulder plane and I thought these would be he better choice for the higher $ investment. Just curious about the workings and adjustments for this style of side rabbet plane.
    Dang ya'll are helpful, Steve

Note that the side rabbet plane is listed on page 2C in the Dec. 2010 catalog. Click on the "Catalog" link in the top center of the Woodcraft homepage to access it.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Stack View Post
    David, I can't find it on the I-net either but, no it's not the chisel plane, it's a side rabbet based on the Record 2506S design as described in the Dec 2010 catalog pg 2C. Since it's not an everyday user I thought it may be a place to skimp if there is such a thing.
    Thanks. Steve
    I see it now. You could easily trace the profile onto two pieces of scrap.

I've never used one of that design. You could always send it back if you don't like it, I think they have a generous design.

I deleted my post because the rabbett plane blades are made of T 10 tool steel,which is a high carbon steel which should be fine,unless it was not hardened correctly.

I didn't read about the Mn 65 chisel plane blades. Mn 65 sounds like manganese steel with ONLY .65% carbon in it,which is VERY LOW,and wouldn't stay sharp long regardless of its hardness. Low wear resistance is not the same thing as hardness. It takes MORE carbon to have better wear resistance,or more alloys.

The side rabbett plane is about $59.95. It should be fine IF the machining is o.k..
    Last edited by george wilson; 12-09-2010 at 8:51 AM.

Blog Entries
    Looking at the picture in the catalog, it looks like the blades are very short. This would make them hard to adjust.

There is a Record 2506, pre depth stop, for sale on ebay, auction 260701685723

There is also a Preston 1369 for sale at an exorbitant price, 330498572574. It does not appear to have a depth stop either, but the Preston is the only side rabbet plane I know of that has threaded adjusters. One blade has the adjuster hidden and is accessed from the back side.

These are mostly listed for comparison to the Wood River.

When planing to only use a tool a little, one often finds it gets used a lot for drawer bottom grooves and such.

The Stanley #79 is also a good tool for this kind of work.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post

The Stanley #79 is also a good tool for this kind of work.

jtk
    Yes, have you seen what these things are commanding on ebay? Might as well get the LV side rabbet plane. It would cost only a little more, it looks like a better plane, and it would come tuned up.

for an inexpensive side rabbet plane check out this:

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/k...bbetplane.aspx

From their description it sounds like what you get out of the box is a long way from being useful, but with a bit of tuning it might be a good plane.

Yikes. Each of my stanley 79s were about $55. People should be able to find them for that. I see completed listings on ebay for a little more but you can find them places other than ebay.

I like them best of all of the rabbet planes because they have a depth stop and are big enough to get a good grip. You can avoid the hassle of having to adjust both irons all the time when you switch to cut with one or the other by just having two of them instead of one. They are still as cheap or cheaper than a good pair of 98/99 planes, and known function.

I have had very poor luck with everything I've gotten from kunz, some of it is barely passable as "tools".
    Last edited by David Weaver; 12-09-2010 at 9:54 AM.