Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Boxelder Platter / Bowl and question

Very nice looking platter! Looking forward to seeing it finished!

I have used a water-based poly before with good results. Only thing I didn't like was sanding down the raised grain. Oh, and the can rusted before I could use the product again! Never had that happen before!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

don't forget to bleach it

That is a beautiful platter, Alan, and a stunning peice of wood. If it is not too late, you might try to bleach it. Bleaching makes the red "redder" and the white "whiter" It is really easy to do. Here's a photo of the appropriate product. I found it at the local paint store but I have seen it at Woodcraft or other hardware store.
    Here's a thread where I explain the process.
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...1518895&page=2
    TB

Very nice piece of wood and you did a great job with the form here. Re an applied finish, Deft (nitrocellulose) is nice as it is is tough, clear and looks great once applied and sanded out but is not very moisture resistant. Water based poly is quite water resistant, crystal clear but plastic looking if built up. Shellac looks great but, as previously mentioned, not alcohol resistant.
    Great piece

Very interesting ideas and I am interested in the bleaching technique. I picked up a can of sanding sealer lacquer and gloss spray lacquer and I'll give that a try. Now to see how long I can hold my breath. Thanks again for all the great suggestions. Alan
    Alan T. Thank God for every pain free day you live.