Thread: Cherry Tree Toys Noah's Toy Box....

Cherry Tree Toys Noah's Toy Box....

My first go at doing intarsia. So many babies in the family I picked a niece and her hubby and did this in a few hours here and there over the course of six months (took about 80-100 hours I think all together). All woods are natural and unstained. Box is pine, giraffes are bass and mahogany, buffaloes are paduk and ash, the Ark is white oak, butternut, cherry and redwood, the zebras are bass and walnut (changing that to wenge for 2.0), etc. All wood planed down to 1/2" (wanna cry? Get a hunk of any wood that's somewhat rare or expensive but only comes in 1" stock and plane it! I've got a couple bags of expensive sawdust/planer chippings)
    Finished with two coats of a spar urethane (good for indoor/outdoor applications).

Toy Box 2.0 is going to include something very important, but missing, Noah! My sketch of Noah looks like Charlie Manson according to my daughter, so I may challenger her to come up with something suitable!

2.0 may also include a sun made of amarillo in the upper right hand corner of the lid and clouds coming in from the upper left hand corner of the lid.....maybe that'll be 3.0

http://www.cherrytreetoys.com/Noahs_..._P2733C173.cfm

Thanks!
    Paul
    God Bless America!
    Attached Images Attached Images

What a great treasure for your niece. Very nice.

Great job Paul!

A coworker was asking me about toy boxes for her daughter. This design is the best one I've seen yet.

I think this is a good project for her Dad to make.

Also, thanks for supplying the link to the plans.

Have you thought about adding one unicorn to the chest? I was told that's why they no longer are around.

Bill

Blog Entries
    Great looking heirloom toy chest.

You need to seriously consider a bandsaw to resaw that exotic wood. Make it go twice as far.

Paul - Absolutely BEAUTIFUL! I am just finishing a rocking horse (will post soon) for my 10 month old granddaughter for her first Xmas. I told LOML just two nights ago that next years present will be a toy chest. Thanks you so much for posting the site!
    Take off a full blade, nope, too long, now take off 1/2 blade, nope, too long, now take off 1/4 blade - How the H--- can it be 1/4" short????

Real nice work on the toy chest Paul.
    Looking forward to the second one.

Hi all, really appreciate your feedback. And yes Mr. Rimmer I had the same thought but was running short on cash and room in my garage! Guess I could have taken it somewhere.....oh well.

Hope you all get the plans from Cherrytreetoys.com and have fun making your own version. Over at lumberjocks.com is a posting from a fella named Reynard i think from which I got my original inspiration. I can suggest that once you get the plans take 'em somewhere to get copies made....you'll need 'em to be able to cut out for each individual animal.....sometimes multiple copies depending on how many woods are used for that particular animal. All things you'll learn about the way I did.

Even though it's 22 f. outside and probably not much warmer in my garage I'm really itching to get started on the next one!

Thanks,
    Paul
    God Bless America!

Love it! Also love your daughter's Manson comment. Best find someone who is good with the human face.

Mike