Thread: Craigslist Lathe

Red face Craigslist Lathe

I just saw this new Craigslist posting and wanted to see if anyone was familiar with this Lathe. I have left a message to get more info, such as model number and running order. The link below is all the info I have at the moment...
    http://fortwayne.craigslist.org/tls/2101498008.html
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

I've got one. These were made in the 70s and 80s. 14" swing over the gap, 11" over the bed. Assuming it's got the 4-speed pulleys it's a 4-speed . Fits most of the Delta accessories going back to the 40s. That one looks to be on a decent metal stand too. Simple, very solidly built, takes 6505 bearings (I recall, don't quote me on that it might be 87505). I have a 1/3hp motor on mine which is enough, but you might prefer 1/2 if you're planning to really hog off a lot of material. See what's in the toolbox, but I think the price is reasonable assuming nothing is broken.

Pete
    Last edited by Pete Bradley; 12-09-2010 at 12:10 PM.

Post this on the Turners forum, you'll get more results. Great bunch of guys there. I'd get that in a heartbeat, for that price. Looks like he's got a piece of wood mounted, that tells me all the parts that you need are there. If it runs, it's worth it, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Iwamoto View Post
    Post this on the Turners forum, you'll get more results. Great bunch of guys there. I'd get that in a heartbeat, for that price. Looks like he's got a piece of wood mounted, that tells me all the parts that you need are there. If it runs, it's worth it, IMO.

Thanks. I just posted it over there. I was not really looking for a Lathe at this point, but it caught my eye. I just spoke with the owner and he said everything works like new.
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

I bought one that looks similiar but maybe a little more light weight. The bed was 2 pieces bolted together. I didn't check thing out very good and found out that it had odd MorseTapers and threads on the head stock. I sold it and bought another lathe with MT2 and a 1x8 tpi threads on the headstock. As long as it has common tapers and threads that you can get accessories for, you will be ok.

Looks like it was repainted. That could be good or bad. Good in that it might look nicer. Bad in that it may not have been done well/properly. Looks to me like they painted the WHOLE thing...wood shelves and all.
    I drink, therefore I am.

It's a delta 46-111 gap bed lathe. 14" over the gap, 11" over the bed. Pete's correct,it takes 6505 bearings. Nice mid range lathe. If it's in decent shape that's a good price. The bed is one piece and it has normal MT2 tapers on both the headstock & tail stock. Lots of parts floating around, they made them for years and lots of aftermarket parts fit too.

Mike

A lot of these lathes (most) have a solid spindle, some did have a MT2 in the spindle.
    This lathe was designed and at first build by the Callander foundry in Guelph Ontario. they got bought out by Rockwell and then build in the US, Rockwell then got taken over by Delta, anyway between all these happenings some of these things I said before happened.
    The basic part did stay the same for decades, there were some other pieces made for it at times, like cross-slides and a jackshaft to make it able to turn metal.
    If yo have one with solid spindle then you need to have the spur-center that treads onto the spindle, (they are not easy to come by most days) or get a chuck and then you could use a spur-center that's held into the chuck.
    One other thing you have to be aware of, the handwheel on the tailstock is held on by a couple of hooks that are part of the casting, if the tailstock fell those hooks can then be broken and makes using the tailstock very awkward.
    Other than that, there are a lot of those lathes still around and used, because it is a very well made and designed lathe with good N. American cast iron.
    Oh the tailstock has either a MT1 or MT2, both are normal Morse Tapers,
    Headstock spindle is 7/8" 14 TPI IIRC also treaded on the outboard side, but LH thread, so you can use a hand-wheel or even turn outboard
    Have fun and take care