Thread: Springfield mo

Springfield mo

I'm headed thru Springfield tomorrow just wondering if there are any good woodworking stores that way???

I believe that is where Grizzly is located. Not sure what else is there.

grizzly IS located there.......if you stop there be prepared to spend some time...that place is HUGE
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

Ballew Saw & Tool also in Springfield. I thought at one time they carried General power tools but I don't see that brand on their website so maybe I dreamed this or otherwise "misremembered."

Plus - the original Bass Pro Shop is in Springfield if you like that sort of thing (huge store with hunting, fishing, camping, boating and golf stuff).

And for an interesting place to eat: Lambert's (Home of the Throwed Roll) is south of Springfield. They push a cart around and throw hot rolls to you -- not something you see everyday!
    Last edited by Jim McFarland; 12-09-2010 at 4:50 PM.

Blog Entries
    Lambert's stole the throwed roll from Chubby's restaurant that used to be off of highway 61 in Moscow Mills MO. I know, I grew up there. The reason Chubby started throwing the rolls is because you could not get to everyone any other way, and everyone wanted a roll. I don't think Chubby's is there anymore, I know they moved the road. That being said Lambert's is a nice place to eat.

As for springfield The Bass Pro is a fun stop for anyone. I don't know about woodworking stuff in the area though.
    Andrew Gibson
    Program Manger and Resident Instructor
    Florida School Of Woodwork

Ballew Saw & Tool Inc., 325 S. Kimbrough, Springfield, Mo. 65804 417-865-7511. It is a old established Place with some good stuff and good prices from what I saw.
    I want to create love in my woodworking with a love for woodworking.

Hey, if you go to Ballew, check to see if they have a sharpening shop. Need to send my bandsaw blades somewhere to be sharpened.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Gibson View Post
    Lambert's stole the throwed roll from Chubby's restaurant that used to be off of highway 61 in Moscow Mills MO. I know, I grew up there. The reason Chubby started throwing the rolls is because you could not get to everyone any other way, and everyone wanted a roll. I don't think Chubby's is there anymore, I know they moved the road. That being said Lambert's is a nice place to eat.
    "stole" is a harsh word. Perhaps small, busy cafes are kinda the same all over? Perhaps great minds just think alike?

From Wikipedia:
    "The first roll was thrown in 1976 by Norman Lambert. At the original location, he would walk around and hand out the rolls. One day it was really busy when Norman couldn't get through the crowd....one of the customers yelled to him " Throw the dang thing!". And with that the "Home of Throwed Rolls" was born."

I have no doubt Chubby was throwing rolls at Moscow Mills too! It's just that Lambert's capitalized on the "throw'd roll" thing. It didn't hurt that he was right off of busy I-55. I saw him throw rolls to Johnny Carson on The Tonight Show once upon a time!

Make sure you do your tool shopping before you eat at Lambert's! Afterwards, you will need a major NAP!
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

If you like cheese and/or wine there is a neat little shop around the corner from Lambert's that has plenty of both. Last time we were up there we spent a good 30 minutes sampling cheeses.

Chubby's is still in Moscow Mills but at a different location. If you compare rolls at Chubby's and Lambert's when Chubby's throws you a roll you will throw it back. Lambert's rocks.

Blog Entries
    Last time I was up "home" was a few years ago and chubbys had movred to highway C. Thats not really chubbys. Anyway chuby probably died 20 years ago. I just repaeting what I have been told all my life .
    The rolls at chubbys used to be amazing, and their pie was second to none.

Maybe stole was a harsh word, but I am fairly sure chubby did it first.
    Andrew Gibson
    Program Manger and Resident Instructor
    Florida School Of Woodwork

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrew View Post
    Hey, if you go to Ballew, check to see if they have a sharpening shop. Need to send my bandsaw blades somewhere to be sharpened.
    Jim, They do have a sharpening shop as I have had some blades sharpened there.
    I want to create love in my woodworking with a love for woodworking.