Thread: Unisaw vs. 36-750 tilting arbor

Unisaw vs. 36-750 tilting arbor

What is the difference between these saws? How does one compare to the other?
    I was looking at a used saw the seller thought was a Unisaw and other members have indicated it was a 36-750. I'd really like to know what the differences are, what the values or each are. I don’t know the age of the saw so I realize the value would be a WAG.
    Any help will be appreciated.

that doesn't look like the 36-750 that delta sells now (google it).

if you search that product number at amazon, it brings up the hybrid saw, which is bascially a contractor's saw inside a box and no relation to a unisaw insides, it's much lighter built than a unisaw.

When I originally got a hybrid saw, delta was selling all kinds of non-unisaw things. The part number i recall was 36-732 or something like that. I don't recall ever seeing 36-750 as a full blown cabinet saw.

The Unisaw has a giant cast iron trunnion (carriage) that holds the arbor/motor assembly. The trunnion is cradled by the cabinet and one only needs to loosen three bolts holding the table to the cabinet to make adjustments for parallel.

The Delta hybrid saws have a much smaller trunnion that is attached to the bottom of the top. It is quite a bit more difficult to make parallel adjustments.

A tell-tale sign between the two is where the front height-adjustment wheel is located on the front of the cabinet. On true cabinet saws, it is a third to half down from the top of the cabinet. On hybrids it is much closer to the top of the cabinet.

Finally, Steel City/Craftsman have offered a hybrid that is halfway between the two designs, with smaller cabinet-mounted trunnion.

The 36-750 is a hybrid saw, which means that the internals are hung off the top rather than being bolted to the cabinet as a true cabinet saw design (like the unisaw). Most likely this is a chinese saw and the Uni is an American made saw. Are they comparable? NO. A guy at work had one of the delta hybrid saws, had lots of problems with alignment of the blade to the slots, and wanted me to fix it for him. The saw was 4 hours away and he was never able to get it to me so I never laid hands on it.

My recommendation is to stick with the Unisaw or a comparable cabinet saw such as a PM 66, General or even (gasp) a griz cabinet saw. All will be more durable and trouble free in the long run. The Delta Unisaw design dates all the way back to 1939 and it was only in the last 2 years that it was finally changed. And the griz is a clone of it. That has to tell you something bout how good it was to have lasted all those years.

Used Uni's can vary in price depending on age, condition and accessories. 5-600 is not unreasonable for one of the older models with an original fence. 3 phase machines do pop up and go for cheap since most folks dont know what to do with them. Depending on your location, they can be had within a reasonable amount of time if you are patient. Good Luck.

I don't quite understand why anyone has trouble with the alignment on a delta hybrid.

There are four bolts, you loosen three of them and slightly loosen the fourth. The only difficulty is getting to that fourth one (front left looking at the top), but a socket extension gets to it easily.

Mallet the trunnion with a block and rubber mallet until they're where you want them, and then partially tighten the bolts, check again, adjust with mallet and fully tighten. It's not that difficult. Mine stayed set fine for four years, didn't burn, etc and had a couple of thousandths of front to in toward the fence after I adjusted it and when I sold it.

It is however a chinese saw. Mine went down the road two weeks ago. It's not a horrible saw, it's just not a great saw, it's like a slightly heavier case decent contractor saw with the dust contained in the base. It does what it's supposed to do and the bies fence makes it tolerable to use, it just isn't going to wow anyone.

I would *never* pay what they are asking for it online, there are too many other saws that are better and cheaper. The delta name has become a farce. I got my saw when I first got into woodworking, it was on sale for $899 and came with a miter gauge, free freud blade, mobile base, bies and free liftgate - I guess they were having trouble selling them, and I didn't know any better, but there was never anything that it limited me on other than space.

Still, buy something else unless it's almost free.

I have a 36-750 like the one in the picture (since 1992, including the 52" Unifence). It lacks the horsepower of most Unisaws, etc., and the arbor could stand to be longer to accomodate a wider dado blade stack. I really have no complaints and I've used it on innumerable projects over the years (mainly cabinetry and furniture). That said, I have to admit that if I'd had the money at the time I'd have bought a Unisaw. I find that I look at the current crop of higher end saws more frequently, though it's due more to "upgrade-itis" than any major deficiency in the saw.