Thread: Drawer Slide Install

Drawer Slide Install

I am building some shop cabinets and I have a question about drawer slide installation. I am planning to build a base cabinet that is 4' wide, divided into two section like this:

cabinet.jpg

Note the red arrow. I want to install drawer slides on either side of the 3/4" partition like in the picture. Is that going to give me any issues? Will the screws run into each other? Should I offset the slides to prevent that? Or, double up the partition?
    "If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably a wise investment."

Standard length slide screws will hit each other if placed on either side of a 3/4" partition... but since slides come with multiple choices for screw placement, just offset your screws slightly so they don't directly "mirror" each other. You 'll want to keep your slide alignment consistant.
    Last edited by Jeff Qualmann; 12-10-2010 at 5:11 PM. Reason: typo

Rob you can always use "twin application" screws, I've used them many times on hinges that are at the same level.

http://hdlusa.com/catalog.cfm?GroupI...ing&showprod=1

the ones on the bottom of the page

Or you just just pre-drill thru-holes at the right locations and use nuts and bolts to connect both slides at the same time...

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Vaughn View Post
    Or you just just pre-drill thru-holes at the right locations and use nuts and bolts to connect both slides at the same time...
    Many slides require flush countersunk head hardware. The "twin application" screw is something I wasn't aware of, I have had to stagger my screws in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Bodenschatz View Post
    I am building some shop cabinets
    I am also planning to build some shop cabinets, and have been doodling in sketch-up... but the drawing that you have looks like a much better version of what I am working toward.

Where did you get your plans? They look great!

Thanks!

Thanks all for the advice. I'm gonna go ahead with the single partition and adjust if I need to. I'm sure it'll be fine.

John, I am starting with this from American Woodworker:
    http://books.google.com/books?id=tvY...epage&q&f=true

Not sure if I'm gonna cover the plywood edges like they describe. It's just for the shop so I'm really looking for function over form. Also, I think I'm gonna eliminate the top and just use a few 3" wide rails. Save some plywood.

Planning to build four of the base cabinets for a total of 16 feet. Using it as a miter bench across the back wall of my shop.
    "If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably a wise investment."

When I finally got around to finishing out the inside of my shop several years ago, I made a set of shop cabinets with material left over from building houses. I built two 4 foot cabinets and placed them side by side. 2 feet drawers have been a pain ever since I built them. I can't wait to get caught up enough so I can build a new set of cabinets and will make sure none are anyway near 2 feet.
    Who knew your could have so much fun with such a small chunk of wood