Thread: Porter Cable edge guides

Porter Cable edge guides

Hi All

I was given a Rockler gift certificate for Christmas. I would have preferred Lee Valley but oh well... I was wondering if I should go with this. more expensive one or go with this less expensive one The less expensive one looks like it could be awkward to use with the fixed arm sticking out. I would prefer a Micro Fence edge guide, but Rockler doesn't carry that one. I've never used either edge guide, so advice is welcome. I also asked about using part of the gift certicate for merchandise and cashing in the remainder. No dice

Thanks for any input.

Curt
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 01-03-2005 at 2:17 PM. Reason: remove duplicate text

Mt. Juliet, TN/ on the road full time in 38' Fleetwood Revolution Motor Home
    I have the Less Expensive one and it has done all I have asked of it. It is very easy to set-up and use.
    My2c.

I had the cheapie. Sold it and got the good ones. There are ones for the 690 series, and the 7500 series. Both are different where they mount on the bases.
    The micro adjust is nice.

I have the less expensive one and it has performed well for me. I've had two others for other brands of routers that didn't work so well.
    If sawdust were gold, I'd be rich!

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1

I have the less expensive one. Seems to work fine. I added an additional fence to it for more stability. I was really aggravated that the casting for my plunge base (PC890) was so skimpy that it only has about 3 threads for the screws that hold the guide in place. I won't use the guide with the plunge base because of this...I feel that it is not secure.

Curt -

Another vote for the less expensive edge guide. Mine works great. I have never had a problem with the fixed arm the way it mounts.

Adjustments are very easy. The two knobs let you move it to a coarse setting, then lock one down and fine tune it with the vernier knob.

The more expensive one looks like it will let you do circles of limited size. May not be as versatile used as a straight edge guide. Depends on what you want.

Had a Bosch edge guide that was horrible. The PC is light years better.

Regards,
    Ted

My vote for the less expensive one also. It came with the 690 combo I got as a X-mas present. Had it about a year and it has done all that I have asked as well

Thanks

Thanks everyone for your input.

Curt

Quote Originally Posted by Carole Valentine
    I have the less expensive one. Seems to work fine. I added an additional fence to it for more stability. I was really aggravated that the casting for my plunge base (PC890) was so skimpy that it only has about 3 threads for the screws that hold the guide in place. I won't use the guide with the plunge base because of this...I feel that it is not secure.
    Hi Carole

I have the same problem with the fixed base w/gripvac. The threads for the edge guide attachment seem to be tapped for 8-24 screws but BOY they're sloppy. Screws will get tight but I think if the edge guide attachment were attached and removed frequently, the threads may well strip out. I've never used helicoils but I wonder if the sloppy threads could be drilled larger and helicoils inserted. Not something You should have to do with a new tool Otherwise, I like the router. The soft start is nice, the grip vac handle handles a lot like a D handle and has good dust collection for dado type work.

Curt

Check the threads, seems to me their 12 something.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms
    Hi Carole

I have the same problem with the fixed base w/gripvac. The threads for the edge guide attachment seem to be tapped for 8-24 screws but BOY they're sloppy. Screws will get tight but I think if the edge guide attachment were attached and removed frequently, the threads may well strip out. I've never used helicoils but I wonder if the sloppy threads could be drilled larger and helicoils inserted. Not something You should have to do with a new tool Otherwise, I like the router. The soft start is nice, the grip vac handle handles a lot like a D handle and has good dust collection for dado type work.

Curt
    Use teflon tape on the screws and bolts.

I've got several router guide setups, including the better PC guide you're referencing. The most recent one I've gotten is the SmartRouter kit to go on my Eurekazone SmartGuide (www.eurekazone.com) . If you can possibly justify going for an entire system like this, you'll never look back. I used mine over the weekend to work on a set of built-ins for a customer and things like cutting the dadoes have never been easier, safer or more comfortable. It allows you to lock either axis independantly, or let them both float with a braking action. The sled uses some kind of hgh density plastic for a very smooth action. I submitted a more detailed review in : http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=14515 if you'd like all the nitty gritty...
    Last edited by Paul Berendsohn; 01-04-2005 at 3:52 AM.