Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 043 plough plane help

Smile 043 plough plane help

I resently pick up a record 043 plow plane.It is missing the front screw that holds the fence rod into the main body of the plane. I have looked around and can't find one with the proper pitch. Its not standard. I'm pretty sure its 5 mm and a machinest said the pitch is posably around 27 to 30 if I remeber right any body know where I can find one. I could tap them out I guess but only want to do that as a last resort. Any ideas?

If it's 5mm, you should be able to pick up a metric screw at your local hardware or auto parts store. I believe the thread pitches on metric screws have been standardized for a while.

If it is, incidentally, stating the thread pitch as "27 or 30" (which would be threads per inch) isn't much use. Metric thread pitches indicate the distance from peak to peak (technically, from any given point on the thread to the matching point on the next "thread" over).

I don't know if Record used Whitworth at any point - if they did, and yours is Whitworth, go find a shop in your town that repairs old British cars or motorcycles. How you would tell, I'm not sure.

There are lots of non-standard fractional threads, too.

Not much help here. As the saying goes, "We have not succeeded in answering all your problems. The answers we have found only serve to raise a whole set of new questions. In some ways we feel we are as confused as ever, but we believe we are confused on a higher level and about more important things."

Blog Entries
    Stanley did not make this model, but I know Record used a lot of Stanley designs.

If the screw has American threads, it is likely 28 tpi.

I am surprised the machinist doesn't have a thread gauge. If it will not fit any American threads, then it is likely metric.

It all depends on how old the plane happens to be. Though it would be unusual for the maker to change thread patterns just because of a change in standards. Most of them either used standard threads or they had their own proprietary standards like Stanley.

Do you know anyone in your area who might have a Stanley #45 or #55 to see if the screws have the same threads? The Stanley planes used 1/4-28 pitch screws.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 12-10-2010 at 3:53 PM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post

Do you know anyone in your area who might have a Stanley #45 or #55 to see if the screws have the same threads? The Stanley planes used 1/4-28 pitch screws.

jtk
    1/4" - 28 is a standard National Fine pitch. If Mr. Culver hasn't been able to fit something from the screws-and-bolts aisle of his hardware store in, it's probably not that size/pitch.

6mm is a little smaller than 1/4" anyway - 5mm that much smaller yet. But estimating screw size from the minor diameter of the threads in a hole is a challenge.

We could speculate forever. You might contact Alice Frampton, aka Alf, to see if she knows: http://www.cornishworkshop.co.uk/

You might want to ask Alice Frampton aka ALF, the Plough Plane Princess of Cornwall, and I mean that in the best way. She really has some of the best info on the web about metallic ploughs, and as I recall she particularly fancies the British Record models. I think she has a website called Cornish Workshop and a blog called Musings from the Workshop.

St. James Bay Tool Company sells replacement parts for Stanley planes, and Record as well. He can also supply blades, just about anything you need.

The machinest used a thread guadge but the screw I have is a little loose so he was afraid to say it is a... because its a bit worn.Its not a whitworth he verified that also. I have asked a few people about them but havent got a really solid answer yet. its sure not a standard thead I tried every standard size avalibe in the hardware stores and came out empty I even went to the local fastnell which specializes in fasteners he checked it againt a all his tooling and directed me to a machine shop. I have know this fella for a few years and he is no sluff Im sure he would tap it out or what ever I want but like I said I would like to find a screw insted of modifying it I dont think its 1/4in 28 but it could be 5mm 28. thanks for all your replies im going to check out the link Thanks.

Screw pitch and form

I have a Marples 043 which morphed into the Record.

I measured the screw in mine with micrometer, screw pitch guage and a thread tool. It turns out that the one I have is a standard 10-24 screw. Not British or Whitworth.

I also checked it with a metric pitch guage and it wasn't a metric thread.

Scott

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Houghton View Post
    1/4" - 28 is a standard National Fine pitch. If Mr. Culver hasn't been able to fit something from the screws-and-bolts aisle of his hardware store in, it's probably not that size/pitch.
    I have done a lot of looking for a 1/4-28 in a lot of hardware stores and even some specialty stores. I have only found them through mail order.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Culver View Post
    The machinest used a thread guadge but the screw I have is a little loose so he was afraid to say it is a... because its a bit worn.
    It may be a metric thread. A lot of them are close, but just not the same.

I do not know enough about Record tools to know what threads they used and if they switched to metric threads. I do know some Record blades I bought in the 1980s for a Stanley #45 are in metric sizes.

Also, just went out to the shop and checked my Record #778 it uses 1/4-28 threads in the plane body to hold the rods. Since this was given to me many years ago, there is no way of knowing when it was made or if it is of any relation to the #043. Some source say that Record bought rights to make Stanley planes. Some say that the same shell corp. that owns the Stanley name bought Record tools. Not sure what the full story may be.

Do you have a caliper to measure the shaft? That would be a good place to start.

Metric standard for a 5mm shaft would work out to about 31.7 threads to an inch or .8 per mm for a coarse thread.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 12-11-2010 at 11:35 PM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Screw size

I should also mention that I grabbed a standard 10-24 out of the box and tried it. It ran in perfectly.

Scott

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott MacLEOD2 View Post
    I should also mention that I grabbed a standard 10-24 out of the box and tried it. It ran in perfectly.

Scott
    Maybe it is time for Robert to head to the hardware store and see if something that fits can be found.

Doesn't seem to go with what the machinist said, but a lot of hardware stores do carry metric screws.

jtk

Measuring it with my caliper I come up with 4.60 on the metric scale and 3/16 on the normal fraction scale. im still looking but still empty handed I sent and email to the lady at the link still waiting to here back from her. the correct name in the book for the part is fence arm screw. im not sure if this is a posable date but the book has the number 043/06/73 in the bottom right hand corner got the box and book no screw.im sre I will find one or somthing some where Im not the kind that gives up.

Hello Rob,

Well this is a puzzler, for sure. I confess I'd never troubled myself to check them before - thread types not exactly being my forte - so I measured all four screws on my two 043s and got a range of 0.181" - 0.185" or 4.58mm - 4.71mm. So looks like 3/16" is likely nearest. But like you I also got 28 tpi across the board and I can't find a single standard screw thread of that spec. I can only conclude for some reason they used an oddball thread size, which leaves you in a bit of bother, I'm afraid. Of course that's subject to me overlooking a thread type, but I went through the usual BSF, Whitworth etc culprits, and no joy. So... how d'you feel about tapping new threads in plane bodies...?

Good luck.

Cheers, Alf

So this is my reply from alf man I really hate to tap this plane out......

Hi Robert,

A 10-24 thread is very close to 3/16" (.187) diameter. 10-24 is a standard coarse thread and should be readily available in your local hardware store.

It could be that a previous owner has taped the thread to something other than the original. This could be the reason you aren't finding a match.

Catchyalater,
    Marv

"I did then what I knew how to do. Now that I know better, I do better."

~Maya Angelou~

Thanks guys I will have to give a 10-24 a shot. getting freezing rain right now so I may have to wait till tomarrow. Its an awsome little plane I cant wait to give it a run... I got a nice little project for it once I get it all togather.