Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: K3 or K4 ?

K3 or K4 ?

I was in Hartville yesterday and swung by Hartville Hardware.

They had a few of the K3 master systems on the shelf & knowing that Kreg had dropped the K3, I picked one up for $139.00

I also got an email from Eagle America & they are offering the K4 system w/a free 675 piece screw kit for $149.00

Should I just keep the K3?
    (The K3 seems to be the one most people mention they prefer.)

The K3 seems more comfortable for me. The lever is on the same side as your drill and allows you to clamp it down without having to reach around to the back side.

I've used the K3 extensively, I was happy with it. If I were buying today, I would definitely get the new Porter-Cable jig instead, and for the occasional time when I have to go to the workpiece, use the Kreg Rocket Jig.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

Definitely keep the K3. The clamp lever on the drill side is so much better.

I agree about keeping the K3, for me the K4's clamp lever behind the stock is an epic fail.

The only person I have found online that prefers the K4 was a Kreg sales guy. That should tell you something. I think Kreg discovered they could make the thing for $5 less by using the straight line clamp instead of the spring loaded front lever. It's probably fine if you are drilling the ends of rails, but I frequently do large pieces of plywood for attaching face frames. The clamp in the back is a non-starter.

From the sounds of it I think they are going to be wishing they had spent the extra $5. All the Kreg guys will probably be talking about it while waiting in the unemployment line.

Kreg K4

I believe the K4 exists because of a patent infringement lawsuit regarding the clamp on the K3. I think it has since been resolved in Kreg's favor,but it was too late for the K3.

Carl

Rich, Another vote for keeping the K3. It comes with the two jigs, one to mount on a table, the other to take to your work. I was using the 2nd one so much I felt I could have just bought it, saved some money and not gotten the table mounted jig. Now I'm glad I got it. I have uses for both and they are great tools.

K3 without question. In fact, if Kreg stays with the wrong sided lever, your K3 may increase in value.
    Drill all the holes in one cabinet side and you'll agree; 'lever in front is better'

Let me add a slightly different question.

Which is better, if you are doing a fair number of pocket holes, the K3 or the Porter Cable jig?

If I was doing a lot of holes and did not own a Foreman you could buy a K4 and install a pneumatic air cylinder with a foot pedal actiuator. Kreg used to sell on made of the K2000 metal version.

Reading that you have the K3 just keep it. Its pretty fast. The K4 should be $99 or less anyway and 1000 screws are less than $20 on ebay. Buy a box of 1 1/4" Hi-lows or a box each of fine and coarse and start there.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Well, I decided to hang onto the K3.
    I'm more than happy with my other Kreg and after I get a good station built for the K3 I'll be all set!

I've got the K4. It's only when I'm doing larger pieces of plywood that I wish I had the K3. I've never used a K3, but it looks like its got some more complicated parts. Maybe less durable over time?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    If I was doing a lot of holes and did not own a Foreman you could buy a K4 and install a pneumatic air cylinder with a foot pedal actiuator. Kreg used to sell on made of the K2000 metal version.
    K 2000 was first Kreg jig to be made of composite material. The A-2 was made from aluminum. I have two A-2's, two K-2000's and a bunch of the "portable stuff. Converted one of the A-2's to front clamp. Did the same with some parts from a K-3.

From what I could tell, the K4 fixed the primary complaints about the K3 (things like the clamp does not hold strong enough), which introduced new complaints such as (the new clamp is hard to reach with a large panel and the new clamp type requires more fiddling to adjust [but the new clamp provides a stronger grip]). Can't win I suppose :-)