Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Band Saw Modifications

Band Saw Modifications

I have a ShopFox W1706 14" band saw with the riser for 12" cuts. I have a lot of trouble cutting bowl blanks out of green wood. Most of the blanks are cut reasonably flat, so I do not get into rocking issues. I have been using 3/8 AS - 4 TPI Timberwolf blades. The issue seems to be the blades bend easy and run off the guides. I went through the set up several times and everything seems to be in order. The only issue seems to be that I cant tension the blade enough.

I searched the forum for the post I saw a few months back about a company other than carter that had springs and guides. My first thought is to replace the spring so the blade can be tensioned enough. After that, the saw might be worth putting guide blocks or some other upgraded guides. I am not a fan of the original guide rollers.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author

Rich - do you have a wider blade? I use a 5/8" or sometimes a 1/2" and have found that the wider the blade - the less it wants to wander.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Rich, are you trying to cut the blanks into circles? Or are just straight cuts? When does the blade "run off the guides"? My first impression is that your right and the spring needs to be replaced your not putting enough tension on the blade. I've never used the Timberwolf blades, but I believe they are made for resawing hence a thin kerf which would be one reason they are bending and kinking (other than tension.) I haven't cut green wood with my laguna yet, but my understanding of the physics involved, is since the wooden fibers are still swollen with moisture the blade needs a lot more time and space to clear the cut. 4 TPI might be clogging and forcing too much tension on the blade inside the cut, once again causing bending, and making it come out of the guides. If your making curved cuts it would compound this problem. Hopefully someone with your saw can chime in soon. How are you deciding your tension setting? Your setup as is should work, I'm suspecting the timberwolf isn't the blade choice you want for what you are doing.

I personally don't like roller guides, My laguna with it's ceramic laguna guides make a huge difference in how they support the blade and easy of setup. Their pricetag is a premium though. The Carter Stabilizer is hands down the best guide for cutting curves and scroll work with a 1/8" to 1/4" blade.
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

In addition to Steve's comment, I would like to add the following thoughts. A three TPI skip tooth blade clears chip faster and generates less heat, therefore, stays sharp longer. Wandering is often caused by a dull blade. Another cause of wandering is too much feed pressure

Rich, if you are cutting round blanks then you may also be applying side pressure and forcing the blade out of the guides. In combination with the other issues previously mentioned you can easily do so.

I don't think it is a spring tension issue.

I am trying to cut round blanks out of green half logs.

I have used a 1/2" blade, but also had issues. I don't have wider blades at this time, but maybe I should try the wider blades.

Smaller blanks (shorter, not necessarily diameter) are less trouble for the blade.

I have destroyed a blade on the first blank, but may be it was dull out of the box.

Side pressure could definitely be the issue.

Maybe I should try a different brand. I have also tried Olson which actually have worked better (lasted longer and cut better) than the TimberWolf. Myabe they aren't the best blade for cutting green wood.

Blade cost is why I normally use the chainsaw. I bought the band saw purposely for cutting bowl blanks and can't use it effectively. I could have bought another chainsaw for what I paid for the band saw.
    Last edited by Rich Aldrich; 12-11-2010 at 10:17 PM.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author

Rich - are you using a jig or are you trying to freehand it?
    Steve

Steve,

I am doing it free hand. I could make a jig like Norm had shown at the one meeting. A jig would help reduce the side pressure. I like the idea. Things get really interesting on pieces that are 6" and thicker.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

Rich - you pretty much have to have a jig or else the blank will try and self-feed and that will cause the blade to bow - no matter how much pressure you have on the blade. If you need any assist with the jig - let me know and I can take a few photos of mine if you think it could help.
    Steve

Rich, here's my take. It's your blade. building a jig is a good idea too, that will help, plus it should make the blank nice and even. 3/8" and 1/2" blades are pretty big for cutting smaller diameters. The back of the blade is probably binding in the cut compounding your problem. The timberwolf blades are very thin (thickness of the blade) since they are for resawing. I would get a blade with less TPI and a thicker kerf. It will help prevent the blade wanting to kink. I'd give suffolk machinery a call and tell them what you are doing and see what they suggest. At this point you have ruled out blade tension as a factor. Depending on what diameter your cutting is how you determine how wide your blade is (front to back, not thickness) My supposition is that your blades are binding and kinking or breaking because they are too wide for the radius your cutting. Beefing up the thickness and choosing a different set and tooth pattern more suited to green wood will make it cut like a hot knife through butter. Van Nuskey in the general woodworking forum is a great guy to send a PM too, he knows a TON about different blades for bandsaws, and is a heck of a nice guy who is always willing to talk bandsaws!
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

Hey Rich,

You guys getting dumped on w/ snow up there?

I agree with Rick: try a blade that gives a wider kerf for green wood, and stay with 3/8" or smaller if you can. At least that's what I've seen as recommendations, and it works well for me. I do not however use the bandsaw for my blanks too often. Chainsaw gets it round enough. We've got two bandsaws. The big one, a 24 X 24" Laguna, is more of a dedicated slabbing machine. The smaller 14" Grizzly has a 1/2" blade for generic cuts in dry wood. When I do a bunch of blanks on it, I switch to a smaller blade because the 1/2" does not go 'round the corner well enough due to its size and its tooth design.

Jigs help a lot, but I do not think they will help with your particular problems. If your blank is getting flat on the table and not rocking while you cut, then any free-hand stuff you do should not by nature give you binding trouble. I just got done reviewing a Mahoney DVD where I watched Mike free-hand cutting a blank. If you make a jig, try cutting out circles of various sizes from cardboard or plywood. Tack it on center on top of the blank and cut around it.

Timberwolf makes more than one style of blade, you need one with a wide kerf to cut wet wood. A resaw type blade has a narrow kerf and is good for cutting dry wood in a straight line but sucks at cutting bowl blanks.

I use that inexpensive woodturners blade from Highland Hardware that's a 3tpi blade x 3/8 wide and has quite a large set to the teeth. http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/w...dsawblade.aspx

I get a couple at a time, and if there's a problem with the blade they don't hesitate to replace it for you...

If anyone has a better idea, I'm all ears.
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

Guys and Gals,
    He does have a blade made specifically for cutting green wood. The Timberwolf 3/8"-3TPI AS blades are a wide set (and kerf) blade made for cutting circles in green wood.

I don't know your experience level on the BS so I'm going to cover some things that you probably already know. All of my notes assume you have your saw set up properly as far as wheel alignment, etc is concerned.

Make sure that only the gullet and tooth are sticking out beyond the roller bearings. Also, make sure that the rollers are very close to the blade but not touching. The rollers guide assembly should be just above the maximum thickness of the piece you are trying to cut (if not, you give the blade too much room to flex and kink).

Springs in the 14" saws typically need to be tensioned more than the spring guides indicate for a given size blade. Try tensioning to 1/2" for a 3/8" blade and 3/4" indicator for a 1/2" blade.

When cutting, the blade will move easily across the grain (across the log) and slowly with the grain (along the length of the log). Don't force things! Try to feed the piece directly into the blade with one hand behind the blade and one off to the back and side (that way you won't get cut if something slips/happens).

FYI-I'm not a fan of using roller guides in green wood. The rollers tend to compress the sap/shavings onto the blade while the standard blocks tend to clean the blade as it passes. I've used both and see definite advantages to each one (rollers work better for resawing IMHO).

Take care,
    Dick

Rich,
    I've used different band saws for 28 years and think I've done about all to one that can be done, good and bad. I don't get real hung up with the type of blade unless I'm doing alot of the same type cutting. I use what's on the saw mostly. Right now I have a 3/8", with too fine a blade for green stuff, but can make it cut my green blanks, just fine. I do find the narrow blade will come out of the guides and drift some.......if......I don't let the blade do the work. I'm really not talking about forcing so much, as not going slow enough for the blade/tension to maintain track. IAW, if you cut into a piece and stop, the blade will find it's center, but if you move too fast it may drift. So there's a small skill set, based on moving the blank at a speed that will not let the blade drift, if it does, stop and allow the blade to cut back to its center. I do this by just watching the cutting action of the blade and moving accordingly.
    Also, I don't use any fancy jigs to cut my blanks. I have a few round disks of plywood/cardboard and screw one of them to the bark side of the blank (half log) and try to follow that circle. When done, I unscrew the template and rescrew and then unscrew it on the flat sid of the blank, therefore have both centers marked for the lathe..
    Last edited by Josh Bowman; 12-12-2010 at 10:28 AM.