Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cylone Dust Collectors

Cylone Dust Collectors

I am in the market for a new dust collector and I have read most of the information available. Most people say the Onida and Grizzly are the ones to get but Grizzly only offers a 1 year waranty and Onida a 2 year while Penn State offers a five year. I would like to hear from people use these to see how many and what problems they have had with them and how long have they had their units.
    Thanks
    Mike

I've used my 2hp Oneida for about 6 years now with no problems at all and plenty of power. I use it with a table saw, belt sander, drum sander, 15" planer and a 6" jointer.

Well, the brand I bought is not on your list. I got the Clear Vue after extensive reading and research. With very few exceptions, everyone that replies will tell you the brand they have is the best. Why? How many cyclones does one person need? Most of us only buy one, and if we need to upsize, normally will buy the brand we had, if it worked well, because we are familiar with the company.
    What you want to look at is how well it does the job it is designed for, not how long the warranty is. While warranty should show the quality of the unit, it isn't always true to form. It may hold up very well, but does it do the best job? And that injects another problem...how do you tell how good a job each brand/model does? There are very few sources for unbiased opinions. And those that are out there, don't show all the brands. Not likely Consumer Reports will do a test on cyclones....there is just too small of a target audience.
    I really wish we could talk a quality University into doing real world testing on the major brands, using the same testing procedures, following the manufacturer's recommended piping set ups for the same tools. That way we could at least have something to base a decision on.
    That said, I am extremely happy with my Clear Vue system. It does everything Bill Pentz and Ed Morgano said it would do. I've been using it for about 3 years, light duty. I don't use filters as I exhaust outside. Powerful American made Leeson motor. I'd buy it again if the need arose. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

+1 on the Clearvue. Great design, service and service.

Blog Entries
    Grizzly G0440 run almost daily since January of 2009. No troubles. I would save money on the muffler if I did it again. Whatever it is quieting down is lost in the sound of whatever machine you are running IMHO.

i realise that the 1 1/2 hp small PSI "DC" i have isn't exactly comparing like machines , but i shelved mine and replaced it with a 2 HP Griz DC because the PSI "DC" wouldn't suck dust well enough to matter ; when i looked in the cage i saw why ....the impeller was more than 2" from the outside of the enclosure at its closest point
    i won't even sell it as i would feel like i was lying calling it a dust collector been extremely happy with the Griz DC

HTH

Oneida owner for many years...actually, my current one is my second. Larger than the original due to significant up-sizing of my shop a number of years ago. My original one is still in service in a friend's shop. ZERO problems. Great company. Made in USA (Syracuse NY). I actually drove up and picked up my present unit and was able to tour the factory, etc.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I'm in the middle of installing a 4kW cyclone system to the Pentz/Clear Vue design. Bill's pages make possible a DIY or locally fabricated set up if money is tight. This, plus the large amount of reliable information about on Bill's pages and on the Clear Vue forum, and consistently 'over the moon' posts by Clear Vue owners sold me.

I can't say if it's true (but I'm naturally hoping so), but over the year or so that I've been watching there's been several 'golly gee' (pleasantly surprised) posts about by people who replaced one or other of the other commonly available commercially available cyclone systems with a Pentz unit saying that the Pentz does notably better job in dropping out very fine dust. This could well be the case, as it uses angled inlet ramps, and is very tall (it seemingly draws on a well proven and highly optimised standard industrial design) - both factors with cost implications for an over the counter manufacturer in fabrication, shipping and installation.

This by the way if you are using fine filters is the critical factor - and also the acid test for a cyclone....

ian

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I actually drove up and picked up my present unit and was able to tour the factory, etc.
    Here I am thinking "Wow, I wish could tour the Oneida factory where my cyclone was made" and then I had to laugh.

My kids are right, I'm a geek, who else would be excited by touring a dust collector factory. :-)

Blog Entries
    A cyclone is only really critical to have (as opposed to other less expensive separator alternatives) if you're filtering inside, do I understand it correctly? That is, if you are venting outside, an amazing cyclone is not necessary. In the case of venting outside, the collector performance (CFM's at whatever static pressure) and pipe size would be the key factors to focus on. I'm just clarifying for my own understanding, sorry to hijack the thread
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Riefer View Post
    A cyclone is only really critical to have (as opposed to other less expensive separator alternatives) if you're filtering inside, do I understand it correctly? That is, if you are venting outside, an amazing cyclone is not necessary. In the case of venting outside, the collector performance (CFM's at whatever static pressure) and pipe size would be the key factors to focus on. I'm just clarifying for my own understanding, sorry to hijack the thread
    Precisely. No sense in going to extremes if you're venting outside.

What about your family and friends existing outside when you are throwing all that dust in the air? I vent outside, but I have a cyclone. I wouldn't do it any other way. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

I have been using a 2hp grizzly for 15years and no problems

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Here I am thinking "Wow, I wish could tour the Oneida factory where my cyclone was made" and then I had to laugh.

My kids are right, I'm a geek, who else would be excited by touring a dust collector factory. :-)
    It's absolutely a good excuse to cross the border, Rod...you'll enjoy the place and the people!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Good point Jim, I'm in NY a couple of times a year, next time I'll head to Syracuse....Regards, Rod.