Thread: Window trim finish

Window trim finish

I did a quick look through the archive and couldn't find any information on types of finish to use on trimwork. The windows themselves are wood inside, and we stained and coated them in semigloss poly, as there is a chance of getting some rain on them. We have the oil-based stain for the rest of the trim, but LOML & I are expecting our 2nd child (a girl - major gloat ) and LOML can't abide the smell of curing polyurethane. Is there another finish that will work over the stain and still give a semi-gloss look? Something that is eay to apply would be a bonus. Thanks!

There are some "water-based" polys that have a much lower amount of solvents in them that you could try. You could also try varnish, although that's certainly solvent-based too.

On the woodwork in our addition we used lacquer. Lacquer is certainly another solvent-based finish - I don't think you'd want that in your house without some ventilation fans running.

Pick up a quart of a couple different finishes over at Lowe's or HD and make up some sample boards. Let her smell them curing and see which bothers her the least and produces the finish you like the best.

heres some I did

Heres some cherry mouldings I made a few years ago. I mixed a little naptha with some wipe on poly wich dried nice and fast so recoats were pretty quick. The smell wasnt to overpowering. I would suggest finishing the moulding prior to install by the way.

The reality is that any decent finishing product is going to have some sort of odor. When I finished my floors my wife went to her mothers for a couple of days. Its just the nature of the beast really.
    Good luck and be well