Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: fastener storage

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    Good lord! Anyone who thinks Festool is expensive, check out the prices on the Northern Tool link. $22-33 for a plastic cup?
    They left out the part that says you get 48 of them for the price. That's not a bad deal at all, you can build a small cabinet with 3" deep drawers, sized to fit a dozen or 15 each of those cups, and have a nice compact hardware cabinet.
    Jon Endres
    Killing Trees Since 1983

That's a little better! This is the part I saw:

What's Included

• (1) Bin cup

Quote Originally Posted by David Laaneorg View Post
    At work we use a library card catalog set of drawers. With most libraries swithing to online computerized catalogs, many of these nice older ones are becoming available. Great for sorting out all kinds of things.
    I've been looking at them, but the prices I've seen have been far too expensive. They seem to have become an "antique" that has a big demand for some reason.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

I've got a few of these containers:
    http://www.harborfreight.com/19-bin-...ase-93928.html
    http://www.harborfreight.com/8-bin-p...ase-93927.html
    I bought mine at the big blue Borg, but the units at Harbor Freight appear to be identical (at a lower price).

I use them for fasteners that I need to keep mobile. I've got one for outdoor fasteners (SS, deck screws, etc.), one full of anchors for hanging stuff around the house (pictures, etc), and another one full of drywall screws.

The rest of my hardware is slowly making the trip into rack mounted Akro bin clones:
    http://www.harborfreight.com/wall-mo...ins-65889.html

When I finally get enough bins and boxes, I'm planning on building a rolling cabinet to contain it all along with other hardware bits like hinges, knobs, etc.

Blog Entries
    Jay wrote:
    I use them for fasteners that I need to keep mobile. I've got one for outdoor fasteners (SS, deck screws, etc.), one full of anchors for hanging stuff around the house (pictures, etc), and another one full of drywall screws.
    Geez Jay, you've done what I should have done ages ago. I have the hanging wall bins in the barn - that's great. I have the little plastic drawers in the barn - also great. But each time I have a project, I fill up a little container with what I need. And everytime it's a pain. But a couple of those mobile units organized by type of task is the way to go. Good call.
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)

this is what I use
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

Quote Originally Posted by David Christopher View Post
    this is what I use
    Holy organized Batman!
    Dave, that's exactly what I want to build to house all of my bins and boxes. Do you have a problem with stuff in the door bins spilling out if you slip and close the door too hard?

Thanks Bob. The larger cases work well for drywall and wood screws, nails, etc. The small cases are pretty good for machine screws and nuts. I have found, however, that none of them work well for thin washers (#10-ish and below). They tend to slip up and over the tops of the bins. I bought a bunch of small "craft baggies" at Wally World to keep the washers where I put them

I posted a similar query a while ago - but was thinking of storing drills as well as fasteners. Not sure how it's gong to play out, but I've ended up with several types of storage (not sure exactly how I'll divide stuff between them yet):

1. Wall mount bins, in my case made by Clarke and much like those Jay bought. The one issue I see there is that they be inclined to fill with dust and debris if kept in a open shop.

2. Storage cases like the HF units Jay mentions, in my case stackable and with removable dividers for adjustability. An issue here may be that if the dividers manage to work upwards in their slots the contents of a section may leak through underneath into the next compartment.

3.Several metal storage cabinets with small plastic drawers, made by Clarke. My sense is that it's important that the drawers are easily removable so you can tip the content out to sort through them.

IKEA can be a good source for low cost storage units of one sort or another too. e.g http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60071358

Ian

[QUOTE=Jay Maiers;1584422]Holy organized Batman!
    Dave, that's exactly what I want to build to house all of my bins and boxes. Do you have a problem with stuff in the door bins spilling out if you slip and close the door too hard?

Jay, everything stays unless you slam the door hard
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

I have 2 of these...

Except mine came from Home Depot.

The thing I hate about them is that you have to order the drawer dividers separately.

For the few items I have in larger quantity than the bins support, I have plastic coffee cans on a shelf.

I am not super happy with this setup. I am wishing I was using something more like...

I would like a method to be able to more easily remove the stuff and take it to the bench. The wall mounted boxes just don't cut it...
    Last edited by David Hostetler; 12-14-2010 at 2:32 PM.
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

Quote Originally Posted by David Hostetler View Post
    I have 2 of these...

Except mine came from Home Depot.

The thing I hate about them is that you have to order the drawer dividers separately.

For the few items I have in larger quantity than the bins support, I have plastic coffee cans on a shelf.

I am not super happy with this setup. I am wishing I was using something more like...

I would like a method to be able to more easily remove the stuff and take it to the bench. The wall mounted boxes just don't cut it...
    I have one of the bottom containers shown for some fasteners, but you have to be careful that the cross-ribs in the lid fit precisely over the bin edges (they don't always) or some smaller pieces will work their way from one bin to another. Otherwise, it IS a nice way to transport many different items easily.

I have a few stack on bins, but I am considering buying some dandy drawers.

http://dandydrawers.com/

MK

Quote Originally Posted by Mikail Khan View Post

http://dandydrawers.com/

MK
    Are Dandy drawers the same thing as exotic shorts? Oh nevermind, that's a different thread..

Quote Originally Posted by Mikail Khan View Post
    I use them, and have been quite happy with them. Easy to build a cabinet for them, and cheap enough that you can buy a boatload. You can divide each drawer into two parts (one divider long ways), three parts (two short dividers sideways) or six (combination). I've got three dedicated drawers for 8-32 machine screws (pan head, hex head, and normal), specific drawers for #6, #7 and #8 Kreg pocket screws, one for shelf pins, one for confirmats, even one for M7 bolts--you can get seriously compartmentalized. I think I've got like six dozen of the things in a 6 x 12 array. No way I could have organized all that stuff w/o 'em.

This outfit has metal compartmented boxes which fit in matching cabinets. The individual boxes slide out from the cabinet and can be opened, or they may be removed and carried to the work site. The box tops latch.

http://www.durhammfg.com/catalog.html?id=44