Thread: clear finish

clear finish

Most oils and varnish that I have used tend to add a yellow hue to the project. Normally I like this, but I have some projects that I would like to finish without this yellowing effect. What is your favorite really clear finish. Thanks in advance for your input.

George

Van Industries makes a water based acrylic that is supposed to be pure water clear.
    Here is a link to their page, you need to tell them that you are a woodturner, and at this time of year, they may not ship it (if it freezes, its no good). I have used their water based poly with BEAUTIFUL results and bought the clear acrylic because I too wanted to avoid the tint. Because I have such good results with the poly, I took their recommendation and bought it... I have not yet used it.

With the poly, I am able to sand with oil and apply immediately. The tech guy seemed to think the same would be true of the acrylic. For clear sanding I use mineral oil... Makes the grain and figure really stand out.
    Change One Thing

If it's something you want really shiny, CA (superglue) makes a very clear finish. It cures quickly, and can be buffed well. It can be cost prohibitive, but there are sources for deals. A 2 oz bottle will finish dozens of pens, so I assume you could get one larger piece out of it. Be sure to blow the fumes away from you.
    Ridiculum Ergo Sum

Hi George, I just asked this question last week. Great minds think alike. Some clear finishes are water based poly, spray lacquer, and super blond shellac. Hope this helps. Alan
    Alan T. Thank God for every pain free day you live.

I generally use minwax water base poly, comes in the blue can.

George I got some Benwood called Stays Clear Acrylic Polyurethane from our local lumber yard. I used it on some maple that my sister wanted the light clear wood to show. It worked great.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I love everything about shellac, 'cept sometimes you really dont want the amber effect. I use a lacquer sanding sealer, then lacquer. Have not tried the waterbased stuff, but will probably try some based on feedback here. Good luck!
    mj

A Diamond product, a floor finish, Varathane is a latex product, dries clear, it does raise the grain of many woods.