Thread: Lacquer - Help!

Lacquer - Help!

I have not worked with lacquer at all, so I decided to give it a whirl. What techinques do you guys/gals use for applying it on the lathe? I tied my same proceedure as shellac. With shellac, I apply with a papertowl first with the lathe off, then with it on. Once a get a few coats on, I will "bake it in." I can usually get a low luster, warm shine with it.

I can't seem to get that same look with lacquer, I can't even get it to shine at all, very dull and flat. Is this not possible? I have used it thinned 50% to full strength (straight from the can). I really don't want to spray the lacquer because my shop is in my basement and don't want the smell to be any worse.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks
    Mike

Lacquer is meant to be sprayed. You can buy or make brushing lacquer by thinning and adding a retardant, but it isn't likely to make a good finish to apply on the lathe. I have heard of CA glue being used the way you're talking about.

Good Luck

Chances are the thinned lacquer is being soaked up by the wood. I don't brush lacquer on the lathe because the speed is too high, so I brush it on manually and let it cure (when the weather is decent) and do it again maybe three or four times. Then I wet sand the piece with mineral spirits to get rid of the high spots. Takes time and effort but the results are outstanding.

lacquer is a fickle beast
    the good lacquers that are found in professional paint stores are a catalyzed lacquer meaning they have a hardener in them. they have a short shelf life
    they like to be sprayed in thin coats and wet sanded between coats for the best finish.
    but regardless lacquers dont always wear that well if handled a lot
    dont use lacquers on anything that you want to use for food
    they come in various sheens from satin to high gloss
    if you want the best advise talk to a professional finisher or paint store
    if you want the most durable lacquer use one meant for top coating cars, they aint cheap but man do they last.
    regardless of the kind you choose wear a respirator not just a dusk mask.

Something that I've found with the stuff is some orange peel is inevitable. 600 Wet/Dry seems to do the trick just fine and I've had no complaints since. Stuff like boxes and potpourri pots seem to be good lacquer finish candidates.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

I haven't had any luck putting regular lacquer on the lathe. It does exactly what you said being dull. I just use rattle can lacquer now.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

The Little Tennessee River near Knoxville.

Lacquer is meant to be sprayed

Now I turn my lathe with my left hand and spray with my right hand.

On my old lathe, I used to have an old BBQ spit motor hanging off the back of it with a belt attached to pulley on the hand wheel. It worked great. When I wasn't using the spit motor, I removed the belt.
    I rarely turn anymore. Just dont have the time.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I was affraid that was going to be the answer. I have been expierimenting a bit though. I put the lacquer on with a foam brush, let it sit for a min and then use a papertowel to wipe of the exess, turn the lathe on a bake the finish. Repeat a couple times, then add a paste type wax. Gives it a nice luster.

Thanks for the help.

Mike

Michael,

You may want to spray the lacquer while the lathe is off (protect the lathe bed) let it dry, then buff it up.

Another option would be shellac, it dries hard and fast... you can pad shellac.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

Thumbs up laquer

i spray a couple of gallons a year and this is what i have learned. laq. should always be preceded by laq. sanding sealer. the sealer will save you 10 coats of laq. it is also a filler as in the name. i usually begin with 2-3 coats of SS straight out of the can ..with a brush. will look like hell...sand down with 180 g. ..it sands like chalk..until smooth. do not tolerate any sandthroughs. spray a thinned coat of ss to cover any of these..now---if it is perfect--procede with 4-6 coats of good laquer(behlens is my favorite and is very white). how good do you want to go? now you will notice some "orange peel". simply wet sand with 320 g. now you simply compound on the lathe, with a medium compound (such as meguilars auto com.) this sounds like a lot of trouble but it goes fast--on a good dry day you can spray a coat of laq every 5 minutes. also if you are plagued by high humidity as we are in the south buy some laq. thinner retarder. when added to your finish it will eliminate "blushing. piece of cake-----------ol forester

There are a couple methods I use for lacquer on the lathe. For pens I don't use spray. The pattern just wasn't meant for small items. I use deft, either semi gloss or gloss. I apply a couple of coats with a lint free cloth and let it dry. After that I use the back side of some old wet dry sand paper and drip lacquer onto the pen until the lacquer flows across the surface. I use the paper to even the surface out, not pressing but allowing it to float across the top of the finish until it starts to thicken where it won't run. To polish out lacquer for small items I like to use a bit of Meguiar's Scratch-X. It's made for removing scratches from automotive finishes and will get you a super gloss finish.

For larger items I'll either build up a finish by hand or use a spray lacquer. I don't care for high gloss finishes on bowls or vessels so building a finish by hand isn't that hard.

Thanks for all the help. I obviouly have a lot to learn about lacquer. I still like shellac. I have been making ornaments and it is so easy to get a warm finish with it. I will have to try the lacquer again when its not 12 degs and I can get out of the basement to spray.

Mike