Thread: Adjustable Height Easel

Adjustable Height Easel

I am wanting to build an artist's easel for my girlfriend, but am having a hard time finding this hardware. If you look in the attached picture, there is a brass strip, almost like a ladder, going up the middle of the center post. Right under the paint tray/bottom canvas support, there is a spring loaded finger pull that you pull out to adjust the tray up or down. Any ideas where I can get something like this??? I know I could just make something similar out of a contrasting wood, but brass just looks good.

Help!

easel.jpg
    Last edited by Garrett Ellis; 12-13-2010 at 4:03 PM.

Garrett,

I tried a number of searches and came up empty.

If you're up for an alternate method, perhaps you could use a strip of brass with holes drilled down the center and a round plunger.

If you're really feeling spunky, you could buy brass strip and make a bending jig, or buy really thin brass strips and bend / adhere them to a (hidden) wood form.

I'd guess that part is a manufacturer specific item. I've got an easel similar to the one in the picture. The metal strip is some sort of plated sheet metal; absolute junk.

Good luck with your search!

Does it have to be brass? You're a woodworker ;o) Why not something that incorporated a wooden dowel to secure the botttom tray at various heights? A simple wood strip with holes drilled evenly spaced would give the same flexibility, and if you want some flair, make it a lamination for some contrast.