Thread: Veneering hardboard?

Veneering hardboard?

I have been searching and have found differing opinions on veneering on hardboard. Has anyone veneered both sides of 1/8 hardboard? Will the veneer delaminate from the smooth side? Will the veneer take the texture of the rough backside? I was thinking off sanding the smooth side to help with adhesion and will be using a vacuum press.

I have Titebond cold press for veneer glue. The veneer is 1/42 raw redwood burl. If you do not think this is a good idea I could use some 1/4 maple mdf cored ply I have, but I prefer the thinner stock.

Thanks for your thoughts

Sean,the 1/4 mdf is a better product for your project than the hardboard or maple w/mdf core(why).I would think that the price is about the same other than the 1/4mdf is not available at the borgs.1/8 hardboard,I'm guessing is the tamper flavor which makes it brittle and not a good choice for veneering. Anyway,I would go w/1/4.Veneering is labor intense and not worth the risk of using hardboard when you have nothing to gain and alot to lose using hardboard.Either way,both sides has to be veneer in order for the panel to stay flat.I have done alittle veneering in the pass and not a person that I would call "knows alot"but IMO 1/8 is a bad choice---Carroll

I have never tried to veneer hardboard but am doubtful that any PVA glue would be successful--minimal glue penetration on the smooth side and too rough on the back. You might try urea formaldehyde. When I need thin panels I use 1/8" Baltic Birch plywood as a substrate. This will work quite well with the veneer and glue you mention.

Thank you, I decided to go with the 1/4 plywood. I'll look around for some 1/8 ply next time at the store.