Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need ideas for a child's Christmas present

Question Need ideas for a child's Christmas present

My daughter told Santa she wants something that the elves made in their workshop and went on to explain that meant it was wood and handpainted and didn't have markings on it anywhere on where it was from.....well, I, er, I mean, Santa can't disappoint her, so now am looking for suggestions on a simple, quick toy for the elves to make. Have thought of a small box for her doll clothes, but wanted to see what this august group could come up with. Thanks for any and all help.

Hi Jim. Could you tell us how old she is?
    Do you turn? Carve? What are your skills and tools?

Some ideas anyway:
    Jewelry Box.
    Music Box (Rockler has mechanisms)
    Loving Spoons
    Picture Frame
    Doll House
    A Rocking Bed for a Doll
    Nameplate
    PennyBank

Good Luck. Eric

She is 10. I can carve..mostly whimseys like wooden chains, ball in cages, etc., but have done snowmen, some animals, few caricatures. Haven't carved anything like a shell, or acanthus, but do have the tools/chisels to do so...can't turn (no lathe)...have most other tools, both hand and power. As to skills, questionable at best, but have made boxes, tools (shave horse and saw bench amongst others), bowls with a hand adze and axe, stuff like that. I was looking at a Colonial Williamsburg website to get some ideas of colonial toys....and I was thinking about a wooden puzzle, the kind that has like 6 pieces that fit together one way to form something. I like the Penny Bank idea, and the rocking bed. Thanks! Keep 'em coming guys.

Blog Entries
    If she plays with 18" dolls, maybe this orange crate scoooter. (She may be to old for this). I made 3 out of scraps. If interested, I can send you some dimensions.
    100_0104.JPG

Current Wood magazine has a gumball machine. I like the one from Shopsmith better, you can run down free plans for it on the web.

Ten year old girl? Ten is a tough age, since they are still into dolls, but trying to be sophisticated. If she has dolls (aka American Girl dolls or similar) a cradle, a school desk, a swing, a bed, a table for "tea parties". Any piece of doll furniture would be great. Also, a small steamer trunk for doll clothes would be great. If she has period dolls (many AG dolls are from particular points in history) a piece of furniture from the period that the doll represents. Check out some of these plans

http://www.woodworkersworkshop.com/r...ex.php?cat=488

Last year I made my 10 year old girl a bed for her American Girl doll. I was going to make a matching table and chair, but we wound up moving to Florida and packing my shop away...
    "History is strewn with the wrecks of nations which have gained a little progressiveness at the cost of a great deal of hard manliness, and have thus prepared themselves for destruction as soon as the movements of the world gave a chance for it." -Walter Bagehot

Blog Entries
    I have made Adirondack chairs for small children and their dolls at this age.

Some times boys are easier. Pirates chests or things like that.

I am making fan shaped necklace hangers for two of my granddaughters. They are about 6 and 11.

Be careful, if you make her a jewelry box, she will want you to buy her jewelry.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Well I know its not typically for a girl but I am building cantilever tackleboxes for my nephews this christmas

Don't know if she has one of those elves every child in this country seems to have, but my daughter does and is after me to build her (Adrianna) a house...

Why not go big and build her a nice six-board chest? She can use this all her life--as a toybox for now, later as a blanket chest, coffee table, informal seating...maybe even (one might hope) a toolchest.

My adult son asked me for ideas for something he could make with an 8 year old. Some kind of a toy. I suggested he make old fashioned stilts... they did, and had a blast with them.
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

For a 10 year old, I am affraid a doll house would be to childish (unfortunately). A jewelry box might please her.

I just asked my 18 year old daughter. Her answer, Airplanes and swords. So, I said "what about girls who don't grow up to be engineers?" Her answer was a music box, or a cutsie jewelery box. . But then it occurred to me Tweens are very into bling. How about an earring tree, or a box designed specifically to hold rings or bracelets for something?

My 8YO has a blast with the easel I made her a few years ago. One side is whiteboard, one chalkboard. If you buy premade whiteboard and chalkboard, you could crank one out in an evening.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...-Project-Easel