Thread: 220V 15 amp or 20 amp breakers

220V 15 amp or 20 amp breakers

I just got a SteelCity 12" jointer and a 15" plainer. Both have a 15amp Nema 6-15 plug on the end.

Now from reading the opinions of most here, I should run 12gague wire with a 20amp breaker. Will this require me to put on a Nema 6-20 outlet on the wall? and also force me to cut off the plug ends to both new machines to replace them with a matching 6-20 plug?

Or can I just put the Nema 6-15 wall outlet onto the 20amp circuit?

Matt.

Hi Matt, the receptacle current rating has to match the breaker current rating. With a 6-20R recptacle and a 2 pole 20 ampere breaker and #12 WG wire you're all set.

A 6-20R will accept the 20 ampere cord cap or the 15 ampere cord cap, so you won't have to modify your planer or jointer.

Regards, Rod.

Install the 20 amp outlet / 12 guage wire. The 15 amp plug fits the 20 amp outlet, no need to change the plug.

I have driven around two both the big box stores here and neither of them happen to sell a Nema 6-20 plug that has the T connector on it. But the internet to the rescue, and it seems that Leviton does actually sell one. So I guess it's spending another day searching for an electrical supply store that will sell me a dual 20amp plug that has the 'T' connector to accept 15amp plugs.

Thanks.

uhm... not sure I follow you. The nema 6-20 receptacle will take the 6-15 plug AND the 6-20 plug, there's no T on any "plug", it's either or? And just go to another Lowes/HD, I buy them there all the time.
    Thread on "How do I pickup/move XXX Saw?" http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=597898

Compilation of "Which Band Saw to buy?" threads http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...028#post692028

Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Mackinnon View Post
    I just got a SteelCity 12" jointer and a 15" plainer. Both have a 15amp Nema 6-15 plug on the end.
    Matt.
    And what sort of amps do your machine motors draw? I suppose they are 3hp motors at between 13a to 17a? Those are peak amp ratings and the motors will rarely draw that much. IF the manufacturer provided those plugs, I am sure they are bare minimum, but "enough".

Here are your plugs in question. It stands to reason that the circuit and female receptacle must be rated for 20A to handle either plug type. A 15A circuit would be unsafe for powering a machine that draws more than 15A. So.....Once the circuit is installed to handle 20A with #12 wiring, you can use 15A or 20A male plugs in that receptacle safely....See??

6-20 6-30 Plugs.jpg
    The 6-15 male has two horizontal blades. The 6-20 male has one horizontal, one vertical blade. The female receptacle has one "T"-shaped hole that will allow it accommodate either plug type.
    Last edited by Chip Lindley; 12-15-2010 at 9:52 PM.
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!