Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MLCS Router Lift

MLCS Router Lift

Has anyone actually purchased one of these to be able to post some thoughts/reviews on them yet? I noticed they have been on backorder for a while. At this price point, if it lives up to the hype, could be a nice addition to my router table.

I find it to be a very interesting amd will probably give it a try when the shop is
    finished. Even though nobody here has any experience with it, they are not
    MLCS fans, so I doubt you'll get anything in the way of a positive response.
    (I hope I'm wrong)

I like MLCS.

I'd consider the unit if it worked with a PC 7518 router motor.

This is fun bunch.

Same boat here...

Seems funny to build a single model of a router lift and not be compatible with the 7518. Isn't that still the motor of choice for router tables (assuming you can't/won't afford the Milwaukee with the detached controller...is it the same diameter as the 7518?).

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Monroe View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Monroe View Post
    +2 I suppose it is now. I may still get one after some reviews as it would be for my thrid table and I could just use a smaller motor, the 7518 is still the king in my book.

it looks great. but i did not realize it doesnt accept the porter cable router. also it comes with a plate and inserts which are not as good as woodpeckers. the inserts look kind of cheap

One of the appeals to me is the size of the plate is the same as the Rousseau plate I have in my table now. So it should just drop in the existing hole.

I have one being delivered tomorrow. I will post a comprehensive review within a couple of weeks.

Not sure if any of you have seen this, but the MLCS lift was developed jointly with John Nixon of Eagle Lake Woodworking. He has a handful of videos of his homemade version in use.

Blog Entries
    I didn't realize that many folks put smaller motors in lifts. I guess I should have as my dad's 2-1/4HP Triton seems to handle most things easily. I have enjoyed the idea ever since I caught John's video way back when. I hope it turns out to be a winner and look forward to Howard's review.

Well, I have completed 2 projects using the lift. One, a set of raised panel doors (10), and the other was rounding over the edges of a router bowl chip/dip type thing. The first thing I'll touch on is the plate that I thought was the same size as my rousseau plate was a tad off. A little resizing of the hole w/ a straight bit and all was well. Fit very nicely. Plate is well made and thick enough that I don't think sag will ever be an issue. Inserts do seem to be a little on the cheap/flimsy side. They need to be screwed in, instead of snap in, as my previous plate had. Don't know if this will be an issue, aside from me misplacing the screws. The lift itself is a nice piece of work. Didn't see anything that appeared to be cheaply machined or chincy. Setting up on my router table was a breeze. Instructions were very clear, self explanatory. I must say that it made the raised panel door project much easier, more precise as far as changing from stile to rail bits. Just set the stop from one bit, insert other bit, zero out, and perfect matching of the rail/stile. The included foot pedal is great for raising the panel cutter height on the fly. The control box for raising the motor/router speed etc. is very well thought out and adjustment increments are small enough for any precision I could foresee needing. I could go on, but for fear of sounding like a company rep, I won't. Overall, I am absolutely pleased with the product, especially at the price point with whats included. My only deduction would be on not accommodating larger routers. I felt I needed to take smaller cuts on the panels than I normally would have, had I had my 3 hp router in place. If anyone would like to see pics of it actually in place on the router table, let me know. I'm sure I can figure out how to post them.

Thanks for the review Howard. Nice to here it is a nice piece, I have been waiting to here from someone about these.

Thanks for the review. Nice to hear it worked as designed.

Great review, Howard, and ... if it WAS easy ... I'd love to see pics of yours, set up.

If it's NOT easy ... ship it to me. Given a few weeks ... I'm SURE I could post up a few pics

And then ship it back, of course