Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MLCS Router Lift

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Jahnke View Post
    Well, I have completed 2 projects using the lift.
    *edited*

Thank you, thank you. No need to bow, though. It's wintertime, so I get lots of shop time in.

Just got the lift in the mail

Well hello fellas, I just received the lift in the mail after a long back order. There should be alot more reviews if that many people are buying them. My first impression was good out of the box. everything was packaged well and was no chance of damage during shipping. Now to the meat and taters, I plugged everything up (very easy setup no instructions needed) and tried it out before putting it in the table.First thing i noticed was the cheap way the limit switches where bolted to the base. Next i tried the switches and the upper limit switch did not work. After some troubleshooting i found that the wire was broken at its connection to the switch. I busted out the solder gun and fixed that. Now i wanted to see how accurate the digital readout was so setup a half inch straight bit in the thing and set the hieght to 1/4 deep based on the read out after zeroing out the bit to the top of the table. Next i ran a scrap piece thru the bit and got a measurement of about .270 which i feel is fine because zeroing it out could have been a little off. so i lowered the bit by .020 and re-zeroed the display. ran the piece again and was within about .005. Now i ran the bit up then down past my number and back to the .250 i wanted. Next i ran the piece again and man it was off by almost .037. I ran the motor down again thinking maybe backlash on the thread so i made sure i went far enough to take care of that and ran it back to .250. Ran the piece again and it was off by about.017. I tried this several times and found that sometimes it was a little high and sometimes low by about .20 on average either side. This is a error factor of damn near .040 of an inch. Now i know that in order to do woodworking that you don't need machinist precision but come on i can get closer than this with a gauge block and finger nail. The upper limit switch is a cheap rocker type with a piece of metal bent to make the switch. the adjustment bar that contacts the switch is very hard to set becuse the switch has so much movement even after it is activated. but at least digital display wise it is pretty accurate and stops to within about.003 of an inch but as i discussed earlier you cant pay a damn bit of attention to what that display says i guess. My feelings are first i should not have to work on something that is brand new out of the box(but hey i am a realist and that's why i learned electronics so i can handle that) but secondly the fact that you can not trust the digital display at all if you want to be accurate anyway that for me is BS. I don't know what im going to do yet but i feel like i could build something for allot less money that will work as well as this. That is not what i wanted. For 400 bucks i wanted something better than i could build. Hope this helps some people on making their decisions to purchase this unit. Hopefully they will address these issues. Thanks for your time.

Run Away!

Well I alsojust received one after a long wait. I won't get into to details but I lookedat it and it is going back because of quality issues. I called MLCS and they said send it back but thereis a 10% restocking fee. Now I am annoyed. I had faith in the company bought aproduct with no reviews and was an early adopter. Decided I didn't like thequality it was still new in box now if I want to return it I get hit shippingto me, shipping back to them and a restocking fee of 10%. I suggest peoplethink carefully and read reviews, after looking at how this is made for the price and thererestocking fees realizing if you don't like it you will be out some cash.
    Last edited by jason lambert; 09-01-2011 at 9:49 AM.
    -=Jason=-

Blog Entries
    I was hopeful of the concept. I must confess I had some concern with MLCS being the delivery point. The price-point is still acceptable if it were build like a Woodpecker or other quality lift. Unfortunately, this is one of those items that if it is not top quality, it is pretty much useless. I have had experience with other such items and it is always depressing. I'll keep the jury out and see if MLCS addresses the quality issues.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I had an order for one, but cancelled it due to the incompatibility issue with the PC 7518 also. Now, considering the above, I'm feeling pretty good about the cancellation.

I love the concept. Hopefully they can beef it up, make it more repeatable, and allow compatibility with the 7518.

I also really liked the idea and was willing to take the gamble. Just wish they had a more understanding return policy i will not be doing busness with MLCS if I can avoid it in the future because of this.
    -=Jason=-

I think the target market and possibly the need for this is a bit small. Why do you need this? Ostensibly to precisely position the bit, up and down, each time it is used.

There are a few weakness with the concept as well as with the unit as mentioned by previous posters.

Chiefly, concept-wise, unlike many expensive CNC mills, etc. no router/router bit used with this machine or available today, will precisely, automatically register a router bit- standard router bits and router collets are not designed so the bit mounts in the same, precise vertical position in the collet each time a bit is installed. What this means, to take advantage of the capabilities of the unit, you must register every bit (zero out the display/set the lift for that bit) each time you mount it. To do that you must select a registration point somewhere on the bit and keep a log of that point. Then you must either precisely align that point with the top surface of the router plate with a straightedge, flat bar, or special probe. Once you do that, however, you can use the lift and readout to duplicate any bit profile in your log by adjusting the height of the lift to that setting. If you don't plan to do repeat operations like that, then you really don't have much of a need for a precision readout.

Another weakness is that the MLCS unit does not have stops to precisely limit the travel of the bit, or steps to automatically control the amount of feed when you step on the "up" pedal- both of those are easily achievable via software in a CNC type unit that uses stepper motors.

I motorized my INCRA/WoodPeckers lift by coupling a surplus bidirectional gear motor to the leadscrew. I use it mainly to run the router up to change bits (takes about 10 seconds) but also use it to set bit height. By quickly and briefly tapping my paddle switch I can cause the 32 TPI leadscrew to make "about" 1/4 of a rotation which equals 1/128" vertical change in bit height, though I still use the crank. I have a Wixey remote readout, but never got around to installing it.

IMG_26761.jpg

I wrote a design and operational concept proposal for a stepper motor driven lift which would solve the weaknesses of the MLCS unit and add additional capabilities. The unit was designed for either OEM or aftermarket (incorporated selectable leadscrew pitch setting). I discussed it with Barry Wixey and Rich Hummel of WoodPeckers. WoodPeckers was interested, but we determined early on that the developmental and production costs and hence retail cost would be just too high for the market. I also thought that to be useful, it would be best if the unit had a digital library so you could store bit, profile, and setting information and be able to retrieve and have that info set the unit, but now you really start getting expensive.

Here are some control units I designed for them at the time. The first one uses a paddle switch and rotary mode selector, which I prefer, while the second incorporates surface mount foil buttons which are cheaper to manufacture.

Router Lift.jpg

Router Lift-WoodPeckers.jpg
    Last edited by Alan Schaffter; 09-02-2011 at 1:27 AM.

Alan, you never cease to impress. Wow! Can I magically blink and have one of these?