Thread: Old Drill Press

Old Drill Press

I recently picked up an older drill press on CL and am trying to find some information on it. It was produced by Arboga Machinery in Elk Grove Village, IL. Searching for this company I believe they must be out of business. It is a belt driven drill and I can find no evidence on the net that Arboga ever made anything but a gear-driven drill. I've posted a few pics below and wonder if anyone has any information on (or experience with) this drill. It has a 1-horse motor, the column is 3 1/2" and is certainly a heavy duty drill. No depth lock and no table-raising mechanism so I'll have to do something about that.

Thanks,
    Cy Brewster
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Cyrus Brewster; 12-14-2010 at 1:08 PM.

Cy,

It sure looks to me like a chinese clone of a tiawanese Delta 17-090 or similar delta like a 17-900. Not trying to offend you.

As far as a crank, there was a posting on another web site using a HFT side crank trailer jack clamped to the column and table to raise and lower it. Pretty simple but really ingenious. I've seen others using a hydraulic jack but this one seemed better.

Mark

Heck maybe it was on this site. Look at "i hate my drill press" Good job Bob.

Mark,
    Ya, your right. I went to Harbor Freight this afternoon to get a trailer jack for just this purpose. Strolled by the drills and saw my DP. Exact same design, different name. Oh well, I paid less than half the sale price. By the way the trailer jack works like a charm. The "Arboga" on the nameplate had me fooled.

I'm going to get one tomorrow. I'm tired of lifting my old craftsman table too.

Cyrus, you said there is no depth lock, ......it looks theres one right beside the handle crank.....the little screw thingy
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

heres what I am talking about
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

Arboga was a Swedish company that made good,heavy duty stuff. Sounds like another old time name that has been bought by the Chinese,who then make products that have nothing to do with the things that used to be made by the original company. Too bad.