Thread: Guitar Gluing Tips?

Guitar Gluing Tips?

I now have two slabs ready to be glued together (down the center line) to become a Telecaster-type guitar. They mate up perfectly.

Before I make a horrible gluing error, is there anything I need to know? I was planning on spreading a moderate amount of Titebond III on the pieces and clamping them with 3 long clamps. I was going to use a deadblow hammer to tap them into coplanarity as I got the clamps tight. I figured I would use wet paper towels to remove excess glue, put the assembled slabs down gently, and then run like hell.

I know this is a simple job, but I've noticed that simple jobs have a way of turning into major kerfuffles the first time you try them.
    Cry "Havoc," and let slip the dogs of bench.

I was socially distant before it was cool.

A little authority corrupts a lot.

Steve, I would clamp up lightly then clamp cauls across the face then tighten up the others
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

Is it possible to use cauls made from scrap, or is this something you buy?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve H Graham View Post
    Is it possible to use cauls made from scrap, or is this something you buy?
    Scrap will work but put some wax paper or something to prevent having major wood warts on yer tele body! You're simply prohibiting the wood from opening and "curling" up under the pressure of the main clamps. I love Tele's...may I ask what you're making this one out of?
    Good luck!
    mj from the spinny side

I cut 6 slabs of walnut and bookmatched the top and sides. I was going to put all the figuring on the front, but now I'm wondering if that's a good idea, since the front is covered with stuff.

I got my first Telecaster a while back, and it amazed me how this crude wooden popsicle could make such great sounds and play so well.

What are wood warts?
    Last edited by Steve H Graham; 12-14-2010 at 8:49 PM.