Thread: Any good books on coffin/casket building

Any good books on coffin/casket building

My brother-in-law has offered to build his father a casket. Morbid it may seem to some, the two of them are quite excited over the project. I have been looking for books on design & construction, but the only two I have found have terrible reviews.

Do you have any recommendations on material I can give him (for xmas gift) or even good websites that I can forward along? Most of the www sites I have found only reference hobby building for Halloween.

Australian Wood Review, #56 "Jude's Coffin"

Take a look at Rockler. They have plans for a coffin. He may like it as it is or maybe he can modify it to his taste. It's not a book or how to design one but it may be a start.

4. Quote Originally Posted by John M. Johnson View Post
    My brother-in-law has offered to build his father a casket. Morbid it may seem to some, ......................................
    Make no mistake, this does not seem morbid to me. To me, it seems like the son has offered his services, in making the last place where his father will lie.

It's not unlike what happened at my cousin's funeral. My cousin was a biker, and his friend were too. When the funeral director, at gravesside, announced the conclusion of the services, most people left. But not his biker buddies. They went to one guy's pickup truck, and every one of them grabbed a shovel. They waited while the cemetary jemployee lowered the casket and the vault-lid. Then they covered their lost buddy up.

I stood their in my suit, watching, absolutely enthralled. When they were done, I asked why they had done this.

"It's the last chance we're ever gonna have to do something for him. And we're not gonna miss that chance."

I'll answer your actual question, as best I can, in another posting.

5. In my life, I've seen way more caskets that I care to remember. So,e were rather plain-looking metal, at the request of the deceased. Some were the most beautiful woodworking, with bronze hardware.

The one I remember the best, was the one that the pope was buried in, last time a pope was lost. (I'm not Catholic, I am NOT trying to make this a thread about religion). That was a rather simple design, but was beautifully executed. It was an eight sided box (top, bottom, top end, bottom end, plus four sides to allow for wider shoulders, and narrower legs and head), with hand-cut dovetails, made from cypress.

many Jewish families follow the tradition of filling the grave, as a final act of kindness towards the deceased. It's considered an honor to assist in filling the grave and any/all in attendance have an [unspoken] invitation to join in. Even those that cannot lift one or more shovel-fulls will toss in some soil with a small spade or by hand, as a symbolic gesture. Typically, the grave is full before the last mourners leave.