Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Installing sandpaper on my 16-32 drum sander

Installing sandpaper on my 16-32 drum sander

I love my 16-32 Jet drum sander until I have to install sandpaper on the drum. I have trouble getting the paper tight and smooth over the whole drum with particular problems securing the end tail of the paper in the slot on the right side of the drum. I try to use the little tool supplied but it doesn't help. I use pre cut sandpaper.

Any tricks out there for making this install easier?

Thanks.

The first step is learning what to do with the little tool. Hold the tool in your right hand, palm facing up. Bring your right hand back about half way, and with with a smooth, underhanded swinging motion, toss the tool into the nearest trash can.

I use my index finger to get the little tab to lift. It's far easier and I can lift it much further with my finger than with the tool.

I install the paper on he left side first, hold the paper with my right hand and roll the drum with my left hand, being sure to maintain good right hand pressure. That's all really. No trick to it as far as I know.

I don't use the tool that is supplied either. I don't know of any tricks. Just keep it tight as you wind it on and make sure the tag end is tight when you let go of the clip on the right side. Sometimes I have to retighten it after I sand a couple of boards.

The previous posters have said it all. The only things I do is make sure the little tapered end that ends up on the right is not curled up. Put it in the best you can, straiten it out with a little aluminum showing between the wraps, and clip it in. Rewind it to make sure there is no slack, and if necessary, give it another clip. Not super easy, but not difficult at all.

The little spring loaded clip at the end is great engineering. Simple, elegant, works great.

I don't feel as stoopid now

I'm not the only one who couldn't figure out how that 'tool' works. I bought bulk rolls from Industrial Abrasives in Reading, PA. Made a template from 1/4" ply the same width as the paper and tapered the same as the pre-cut stuff. Write the correct length on the template. Clamp the bulk strip abrasive side down, put the template on the smooth side and cut with a utility knife. Works fine. Oh, and if you err in length, err on the long side. DAMHIKT.

Robert, I use a pair of 90 degree bent needle nose pliers..when you tuck the end in, grab it with the pliers....pull it tight and let go of the tab
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

Thanks, David. I actually have one of those pair of pliers. Now I have found a use for them. I did find way to use the tool, but that doesn't automatically properly tension the paper. I have had one of these sanders for ~20 years. Always hated changing the paper.
    Carol in NV

Wow, I'm glad I'm not the only one that can't figure out how to use that tool. The paper has to be square when you put it on the other side. If it's not straight there, you won't get it tight. And then I tighten it after a couple passes.

I tried using the tool supplied and had the same problems as all. I just use my fingers and have learned to do it well. Doesn't take long to change the paper.

I find it hilarious that this came up today. I was changing my paper which I hate doing and apparently didnt get it tight enough because the paper moved over on itself and burnt my project. The clip on the right is a good idea but it would have been a lot better if they would have put it on the left where there is more room to work. I am going to Harbor Freight tonight though and getting a pair of those 90 degree needle nose pliers. I have never found a use for these until now.

Thanks for the input guys - now maybe I can do the job well and in less than a half an hour.

Just installed new paper on the sander following your recent advice. It went perfectly and here are the important factors - 1. When starting on the left get the paper square to the edge of the roller 2. Roll the paper on tightly to the right leaving about a 1/16 gap - keep it tight 3. When you get to the end of the paper roll get all the curl out of the tail and then pull the clip up with your left index finger while inserting the straightened tail into the clip. 4. Let the clip go and get out your 90 degree needle nosed pliers and grab the tail with the pliers, release the clip with left index finger while pulling tail tight with pliers. You're done. May need to go back to left clip and tighten with pliers. Total time 5 -7 minutes.
    Last edited by Robert Chapman; 12-19-2010 at 3:29 PM.

robert, it took me about 45 minutes the first time i changed the sandpaper. i think i got it down to 10 minutes now although i still dread changing it!

I find by spraying the drum with shellac helps keep the sandpaper roll tight. Wipe down the drum with denatured alcohol before the next change.

I have the 10-20 and have so far used the Jet rolls of paper. I have found that if I cut about 3/8" off the end, it fits better. I also have waxed the drum with Johnson's wax, which helps a lot to get the paper nice and tight.

I tried using the tool but found it was better just not to use it and just pull the clip my finger.

As you have found out getting the paper square on the left is a good start to get the paper on and tight.