Thread: Biscuit joiners - recommendations?

Biscuit joiners - recommendations?

I have a few projects coming up in the next few months that could really benefit from a biscuit joiner.

Let me first say that I'd love to lose my Festool virginity but a Domino is out of the question, pricewise.

Seems the Porter-Cable is the king in the ~$200 range. The Triton seems intriguing, but haven't heard much about it. Any others worth considering?

I have the DeWalt and am happy with it. If I were buying today I would go for the PC for FF biscuits and a larger range of angles on the fence. I get along fine without those fetures but might use them if I had them.

I have a Dewalt and a PC. I like the Dewalt, but purchased the PC for ff biscuits. I like having both so that I don't have to change blades back and forth, but if limited to one, then the PC will give you the option of different size biscuits, but you will have to change blades if you are using different sizes on a project.

The original Lamello is still the battle tank of biscuit joiners, but on the top end of the scale. They just never stop running.

Do any of you guys prefer the DW to the PC for anything (noise, perhaps?)? It's currently $50 cheaper than the PC. But sounds like PC is probably the way to go...

i'd go with a dowelmax or mortise pal before using a biscuit jointer. i had the porter cable but sold it after a small chair and table fell apart on me.

I don't use a biscuit jointer very much, but for the few times I have my P-C has worked well.

Blog Entries
    There are a ton of people selling used machines to make way for Dominos. I would post a "wanted" ad in your local Craigslist or on this website and see if you can pick one up cheaply. IMO the Domino fence is better but the PC allows you to use the smaller biscuits.

Do a search as well...this topic comes up about once a month...lots and lots of threads on it.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I wouldn't be without a biscuit joiner.

What better for aligning board for table tops, box making and carcass making in kitchens.
    .. If walking is good for your health, the postman would be immortal.

I bought a Dewalt for panel glues ups mainly, but also face fram attachment. It works just fine and dust collection hooked up to a vac is perfect. However, I strongly advice you to never use a Domino or you will be sad for life (or until you get one). Alas, I tried one out and my days are darker and grayer than ever needed to be...

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Karachio View Post
    I bought a Dewalt for panel glues ups mainly, but also face fram attachment. It works just fine and dust collection hooked up to a vac is perfect. However, I strongly advice you to never use a Domino or you will be sad for life (or until you get one). Alas, I tried one out and my days are darker and grayer than ever needed to be...
    too funny!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Karachio View Post
    Dan, that sounds like good advice. I hope your days get greener.