Thread: More Christmas Stuff...Rude's Candlesticks...Almost

More Christmas Stuff...Rude's Candlesticks...Almost

Over the years Rude Osolnik turned hundreds of sets of these Candlesticks. They still bring a good price on Ebay. Saw some for $600 a set.

These walnut candlesticks aren't quite as slim waisted as Rude's but close. I added my own touch with beads at the 1/3rd point. The tallest is 11 inches. I bored a hole 4 inches into the bottom and added lead shot for better balance. Turned walnut plugs which are almost not visible.

I ground a 1 in. spade bit to the shape of the bottom of a candle. I used to sell a lot of candlesticks.

Wally
    Attached Images Attached Images

Pretty slick! Great job I like them alot.

Those are gorgeous Wally.
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

very nice, Wally

Very nice. After seeing a photo of some of his candle sticks, this has been a favorite style for me... You've done it justice.

Wally, you did those curves like you may have done a few.....hundred, thousand, or so!!! Those are very sweet!

Very nice Wally.

Beautiful Wally. Really nice pieces.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

They are very pretty both in wood and form. Wally, I am not quite sure from the picture so I will ask a question I have been wondering about when it comes to making sets of three of anything. These are obviously of different heights. Are they also of different diameters? If so, is the ratio of diameter to height the same for all? With experience, one might be able to eyball it to close enough, but as a beginner I would need to measure. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter Smith View Post
    They are very pretty both in wood and form. Wally, I am not quite sure from the picture so I will ask a question I have been wondering about when it comes to making sets of three of anything. These are obviously of different heights. Are they also of different diameters? If so, is the ratio of diameter to height the same for all? With experience, one might be able to eyball it to close enough, but as a beginner I would need to measure. Thanks.
    The 3 diameters are the same on each of them. The top is a bit smaller in dia. than the bottom for better balance in form. I believe in the "rule of thirds" for good form, so the beads, the narrowest part, are 1/3rd from the top. Rude was a good friend and I have watched him turn candlesticks like these. He told me that when his sons were going to college, he would get up early and turn a bunch of them before going to work. Helped pay his sons tuition. Rude (pronounced Rudy) was head of the industrial arts dept. at Berea College in Berea, Ky.

Wally
    Last edited by Wally Dickerman; 12-16-2010 at 9:55 AM.

Very nice turnings. I especially like the smooth curves and the symmetry you have produced with the varying height of each.

Very nice Wally. I think your candlesticks look great.

Very elegant. Nice. I may try to copy those for my own home. Don't worry. There's next to no chance I'll actually pull off a copy.

Beautiful work Wally! I see the inspiration but these are definitely yours! Very classy looking! Thanks for sharing!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!