Thanks again to everyone for your comments. Here is a picture of the urn when I first posted (Dec 3, 2010) and how it looks today.
Pix013[1].jpg Pix144.jpg
I have turned mostly bowls and now remember the learning curve to get the design as intended. Now I’m going through something similar with the taller / leaner hollow form. Because it was already hollowed, I was limited in my options for re-working. For the most part the upper ½ was as thin as I care to go. I did have a thicker inside collar & chose to remove 3/8” from the top (still leaving me room to cut a recess for the top’s tenon) and then the lid was changed to suspend down over the cherry another 3/8”. Then I extended the curve all the way to the bottom. A straight edge rests on only a point over the lower curve. But for practical purposes, it appears nearly flat. The upper third of the cherry is 3.5” and the lower 2/3 is 7”. The top and base are 2/3 of the diameter of the widest part (5 ¼”) while the narrow bottom of the cherry is 1/3.
With a background in civil engineering I do have somewhat of an understanding of the formulas derived from the drawing of daVinci (or at least I did when in school). Now that I’m retired I’m excited to use my creativity – quite stifled when administering construction contracts for roads & bridges. So I truly appreciate comments from everyone’s experience. From an engineering point of view the urn does have adequate room for the remains of an 80 lb dog with a sufficient factor of safety. Now I will work on getting the tool control and a eye for improving the curves on hollow forms.
My BIL, Duff, exposed me to turning in 2008. I had already had some experience with woodworking, but not using the lathe. It’s way too late to warn me of the vortex – I’m “hooked” forever!
And then I had the good fortune to take some turning classes from Russ Fairfield at the Spokane Woodcraft store. Russ is a great teacher. Several of you have mentioned Russ’s web site. He is a bundle of information.
I now have a Jet 1642, Oneway Stronghold chuck with a variety of jaws, gouges, scrapers, Bowl Saver, Bowl Steady, McNaughton Hollower, Husqvarna electric chainsaw, etc. – you get the idea – too deep into the vortex to retreat. I’m looking forward to learn how to use a power carver and a burner. Found a Mastercarver at an auction with Duff last spring. So many ideas – loving it all.
Glad to have found you folks!