Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Not nearly the fun!

Not nearly the fun!

Well, I just got in from shoveling snow.......not too bad, about 4 inches or so...........but it is not nearly as fun as turning!

Since I have an unheated and uninsulated shop, I am hoping to see temps moderate over the holidays just a bit, so I can maybe get in one project of some sort. Things have had me swamped over the last few weeks, and I haven't turned anything since around the middle of October

If temperatures will moderate a bit, I might be able to fire up the Kerosene heater, and make it bearable. I guess I will have to learn to turn with gloves and boots on!

Anyone else got the cold temperature, no turning time blues like me?
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 12-16-2010 at 2:27 PM.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Roger, I feel your pain! It almost makes me feel guilty that my shop is heated and insulated Hope you can get back to turning soon!!

Roger I have heat in my shop and it stays around 65°. It is infrared heater and it is directly over the lathe and sometimes my head gets to hot and I have to put on a hat. Seriously I have to feed some cattle every day. Tractor is just open, I put some hay on the seat to keep my butt from freezing.
    Fred

sorry - two days ago it was 80. yesterday 76 and today a frigid 61. Don't worry about us though... back to a comfortable 72 by Sunday. This is why I live in AZ. During the summer, I hate it.

Jon

I feel for you Roger! Weather up here was the main reason I put my shop in the basement. Warm in winter - lots cooler in summer!

Hope your weather changes so you can do some Christmas turnings before its Easter!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

It's 13 right now, there's a couple feet of snow on the ground, and I have the speed of the lathes turned up. Seems to work for me. :-)

it all balances out!

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Prouty View Post
    sorry - two days ago it was 80. yesterday 76 and today a frigid 61. Don't worry about us though... back to a comfortable 72 by Sunday. This is why I live in AZ. During the summer, I hate it.

Jon
    Hey Jon,

I guess when you are broiling in 115 degree temps in the hot of summer and it is around 85 degrees here that there is a trade off. Winter sure is nice in Az.!

Hope you get in a lot of turning time this winter! Merry Christmas!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schlumpf View Post
    I feel for you Roger! Weather up here was the main reason I put my shop in the basement. Warm in winter - lots cooler in summer!

Hope your weather changes so you can do some Christmas turnings before its Easter!
    Steve,

I guess I could get an early start on Christmas 2011? I am hoping that this year won't be too bad here in the mid-atlantic states, cause last year we got pounded with some heavy snow storms several times..........seemed like I was always doing snow removal, but I am sure I don't have anything like you and others do up there in Michigan, Minnesota, etc.

It takes a hearty breed of folks to thrive in your neck of the woods. Merry Christmas to you and yours!

We got about 2 inches here a little to your east. I hate snow almost as much as rain.
    Cold shop too. the real problem is the size of the shop. That and I have more tools then space.

Sorry, I can't relate. Facebook post from earlier in the day was "What a stellar day. Bright blue skies and a crisp 54 degrees. Who could ask for more?". And in NorCal our highs only occasionally reach 100, usually mid-90s in the summer. Sorry Jon!

So you might say s'no fun?
    David DeCristoforo

I have a split unit heat pump in my garage. Kind of scared me this month. The meter reader came around one day, and then came around a couple of days later to check it again. He said he thought he may have made a mistake the first time around, because when he got back to the office it seemed really high for one month. I figure I will have the DEA here any day now checking for grow lights

13. Quote Originally Posted by Rob Mathis View Post
    We got about 2 inches here a little to your east. I hate snow almost as much as rain.
    Cold shop too. the real problem is the size of the shop. That and I have more tools then space.
    Rob,

I have the same space issue as you........not enough space for my tools! I do use them all, just have to pull them out in the yard when I get into some heavy woodworking, like building cabinets for a kitchen or bath..........but at least they are protected and dry!

Roger, I'm in the garage and hate having to keep the door closed. I do have a little elec space heater that will warm in up but Im in layers. We're about freezing now with 3-5 inches of snow on the way. N of the Sonoran Az folks, so we get 4 mild seasons. 1 mile up, and at the foot of the mountain!
    Where there is a will, there's a way!
    Good luck,
    m

It was 10* in my shop yesterday morning, this morning a balmy 21*. As you can tell mine is not heated either but I am working on insulating it. I don't mind the cold working with insulation. As mater of fact I waited for cooler weather to do the installation but of course I wasn't really looking for temps in the teens. Got a small infrared heater that I run to if it gets too bad. Warms up my many layers then it's back to the insulation. Another week or two and I should have it completed. Insulating the rafters with rafter ducts and R13. It's really tight up there for this old man.

"The best things in life are not things."