Thread: Double sided Tape recommendation for pattern routing

Double sided Tape recommendation for pattern routing

Can anyone give me a double sided tape recommendation for pattern routing on unfinished wood?
    Need to be brand and type specific since there seems to be a lot of choices.
    Thanks

I use a 3M carpet tape found in the paint section of Wal-Mart. It has fibers (like cloth) in it. It's pressure activated and the more pressure applied, the stronger the bond. My main use is for pattern routing on an overhead pin router. To activate adhesion, I clamp it in the bench vise and squeeze. Probably overkill as it's pretty well stuck with just pressing on it on the bench. I use lacquer thinner as a release agent and to clean the sticky residue.
    Gene
    Life is too short for cheap tools
    GH

I ordered some from Woodcraft. Here is the number and description right from my invoice:
    15D28 DOUBLE FACE TAPE 1" X 36 YDS

I have used it a number of times this past week on curved mdf templates and flush trim bits on the router table and it really holds, I mean really holds. When I finish my cut prying the two pieces apart is a challenge, BUT it leaves no serious residue or other problems. Now that I see my invoice, I paid $15.99 for the roll! Wow. Still, I think it's worth it, but if others can recommend a tape for half the price that works as well, why waste the $?

I've done just fine with plain old run of the mill "carpet tape" available at your local borg/hardware store.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Stay away from Rhino carpet tape (HD). Leaves a terrible goopy mess that is a huge pain to cleanup.

Duo-Stick painters tape works well for me. Adhesive doesn't stick to the wood IME. I don't use it more than once before replacing. Never had it fail on the 1st but have if I tried to use it on multiple patterns. You might find it at a local paint store and here's 1st site I found with Google "Duo-stick painters tape":

http://www.epaintstore.com/daubert-9...ided-tape.html

Don't let the boards stay taped together over night, don't ask how I know.
    Paul

The tape from Woodcraft is turners tape. It has some pretty good adhesion, I have never had a part come off that I was turning. Comes in various widths depepnding on what you're looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    I've done just fine with plain old run of the mill "carpet tape" available at your local borg/hardware store.
    +1
    Just go to HD and get the carpet tape. Find it in the flooring section.
    As said, don't leave the tape on overnight.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

10. I use Golfsmith grip tape. It is basically double stick masking tape. I just ordered some recently. You can get 3/4" x 36 yards for $3.xx per roll and 2" x 36 yard for $10.00 ea. Holds well with no residue after removal.

Whatever you do, if you buy it at the borg or local hardware store be sure to get either the fiberglass or cloth backed types. If you get the type that uses a plastic film as a backing you'll have adhesion problems for sure.

I do a lot of templates and the best I have found is from Eagle America. I have used some that will leave sticky stuff on the wood, it will come right off with a little rubbing but to my why should I have to do that.

The stuff from Eagle is great, it comes off and leaves nothing on the wood, it sticks very well, I have never lost a template using it.
    The backing comes off easy and the tape comes off the template easy but it still holds.

http://www.eagleamerica.com/product/v447-7150/adhesives

Bob, don't buy the double-sided tape from HF like I did, it leaves a mess.

I threw out many rolls of HF tape. Useless.

I use Woodcrafts turners tape. Best stuff I've found for thinness, stickiness, and easy release when you need it to. I have a painters palette knife kicking around to help separate parts once they've been together for a little bit. I use the non-cloth backed one.
    Last edited by John Coloccia; 12-17-2010 at 8:25 AM.

Thanks for the endorsement John, I was starting to feel I spent too much, but when you think of what MIGHT happen to hand, head, tool, bit, jig and work piece, if the tape doesn't hold, the extra price is worth it.