Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bandsaw Miter Gauge? Why?

Bandsaw Miter Gauge? Why?

So I'm going through stuff trying to clean up the shop a little and find a couple of 'extra' miter gauges. Don't ask me why I have them or where I got them I don't remember.

After a minute of thinking about whether I should post an ad to dispose of them I realize "I bet this one fits the slot in the table of my bandsaw." I checked and in fact it does.

Now I'm not a real experienced woodworker yet and don't use the bandsaw a ton, but my next thought was "why the heck would anyone need to use a miter gauge on a bandsaw?"

Honestly I can't think of a single reason other than if you don't have a table saw or any other way of making crosscuts.

So marinate me in your wisdom - if you use a miter gauge on your band saw please tell me what it's good for! Thanks.
    -Dan D.

Ray's rule for precision:

Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe.

We use ours to cross cut pen blanks and other items we're preparing to turn...

Good Luck

Joe

I use it for guideing a shop made "v" block for cutting dowels safely. Of course, for cross cuts as well.
    My favorite cologne is BLO

Some items are too large to cross-cut on a TS. The Bandsaw gives 12" of cross-cutting capacity.

C

Just one use for me is sliding a number of jigs.

I use it at an angle with Cauls to trim curved table legs. Also, +1 on trimming dowels.

That said some bandsaws are sold without a mitre gauge slot, for example my UK spec Agazzani NRA 600.

I can't say exactly why, but my best guess is that it's because unless the saw is cutting precisely parallel to the slot (or the gauge has a drift adjustment much like the fence) that it's not going to cut consistently square. i.e. the degree markings will in effect be misleading, or the cuts will only be approximately square.

The exception to that could be a carbide tipped blade on a heavy saw that's able to tension it really well - the result may be some limited ability (as permitted by the kerf clearance) to maintain the line of the cut parallel to/square with the fence or gauge. i.e. the blade can cut very slightly off the side of the teeth. This probably won't be the case on saws with less blade tension and stock blades where the blade very easily twists out of line, and is subsequently guided by the back of the blade.

Here's Eiji F demonstrating what looks like a very nicely cutting cross cut sled on a good saw: http://www.talkfestool.com/vb/bandsa...scut-sled.html

Here's another broader discussion on the topic that a quick Google brought up: http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthr...ype=&bodyprev=

Ian
    Last edited by ian maybury; 12-17-2010 at 1:59 AM.

I just finished a flooring job with miles of 12MM (1/2" liite) inlay strips. It involved large panels composed of smaller panels, and every where two panels met, there was a border. All of the panels met at an angle, with the inlay Strips forming a three way intersectional the borders. The inlay was 3/4"X12mm hard maple set into dados or rabits, and the three way intersections required at least one piece to have a double inside miter at each corner. Lots and lots of these. Ever try setting up a TS for hundreds of chevrons at various angles in very narrow parts? BS was easy with a miter gauge, a few pencil marks a sharp blade. I found each angle by eye, locked them in, cut to the line. So crosscutting small delicate parts that require precise cuts and would be difficult to control or hold on a TS are often best done on the bs with a miter gauge and some form of fence or jig attached.

Thanks...

...for all of the input so far. Sounds like the miter gauge comes in handy for:
    • Cutting round stock with a v-block
    • Cutting anything squirrely (logs, curved parts) with the appropriate support
    • Cross-cutting parts that are too large to cut on the table saw
    • Cross-cutting items that are too small to cut safely on the table saw
    Furthermore the miter slot (as opposed to the stock miter gauge) is useful for jigs. My saw has a slot so that'll be there no matter what.

The ones that have me hesitating are the last two. I can just as easily cut round stock with a V-block on the TS, and so far I haven't felt the need to cut logs, but when trimming something stout or something small, hmmm.

You have convinced me to keep the gauge for now, I can always dispose of it later.

Ian, thanks for the links. I've spent a bunch of weeks in Ireland over the years (not in a while I'm afraid) and I miss it. It's 6:30am here but you have me thinking of pubs, pints of stout, peat fires and pretty redhead girls. Be sure to lift one to your Ireophile friends over here when you knock off tonight.
    -Dan D.

My HF cheapie band saw came with a miter gauge. I guess they thought I needed it. I have used it for quick crosscuts on the band saw... Typically for crosscutting pieces I wouldn't even consider doing on the table saw, like taking cookie slices out of limb stock or something like that. I have also crosscut as well...
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

On my Shopsmith BS, I use the miter gauge in the parallel slot as a fence. Never used in in the perpendicular slot...

Blog Entries
    As mentioned the miter gauge assists in cross cutting operations. I would hang on to it.

Send your extra to me, I'm tired of taking my TS miter gauge back and forth! :-) Here are a few. One, simple cross cuts - why NOT use the BS? Two, cutting a tenon shoulder. Three, cutting a shoulder for a dovetailed rail on a cabinet. Four, cutting repetitive size pieces that don't need a perfect edge (like stickers). Lots of things. I think that too often we limit the bandsaw to curves and resawing when it can do so much more. It's like saying the TS can only rip and cross cut, yet with jigs and other approaches the TS can do almost anything from dados to tenons. Same goes for the BS - it is a very versatile platform.

Thanks for the kind thoughts Dan D. Slainte. It's a bit bumpy over here at the moment, what with the IMF and the country broke as a result of years of government where a circle of politicians (greed/graft, pro construction tax and other support policies, and removal of the regulator's teeth), big developers (greed, megalomania and stupidity) and bankers (greed - for bonuses and running schemes and leveraged financial deals which minimised the need to find real cash - until the pyramid fell over that was: helped by minimal regulation and the concentration of all significant decision making power into the hands of a very few at the top with the help of IT and the top cover provided by de-regulation in the US) colluded to drive the property boom that followed joining the Euro (stable low interest rates) to total melt down.

Much of the population (especially the 30 somethings) of course did it's part by getting sucked into the greed and hysteria - newly married couples taking on €450K mortgages and the like. Luckily there were quite a few of us older types who figured it was a crock, but it seems we're now paying anyway.

Add to that the same Government's doubling of already runaway public spending in the last three years of the boom by drawing on obviously temporary construction related tax income (they bought their way out of everything) when the writing was already well on the wall.

Inflation, currency movements and a limited money supply meant that their gallop was always halted in years gone by funding constraints and natural mechanisms, but they proved wholly unable to manage the economy when we became able to access a much freer money supply.

Then the big European pension funds and other similar bond holders thought they would like some too and recklessly piled in. When the bubble burst, property asset values collapsed, all of the banks would have failed except for state guarantees, and now the ordinary guy is being raped to pay off these same bond holders that loaned to the banks - because the Government initiated the guarantees when they had no idea of the scale of the bank's exposures, and because (since the EU fears the political and financial consequences if we default) the EU/IMF rescue deal is conditional on our not defaulting.

It all made the tuplip mania bubble they had in Holland centuries ago look like a minor affectation. It's rotten - the small guy as ever is paying for the rich, but all you can do is laugh at it...

ian
    Last edited by ian maybury; 12-18-2010 at 7:24 AM. Reason: PS added afterwards. Please pardon the thread hijack

Tenon shoulders! That's another good one.

I admit folks say it's possible to do most anything on a band saw, I just haven't owned one for long enough (relative to my table saw) to think of it most times. Maybe I'll go on a table saw diet sometime and see if I can get along without it for a while. Just for fun and to help me think about things differently.

Ian, chin up. Your countrymen have been through worse through the centuries and you'll make it through this one. Perhaps I need to get on a plane and spend some more of my tourist dollars over there to help.

To hijack my own thread, if any of you Creekers ever make it to Dublin you must tour the Guinness factory. And not (just) for obvious reasons. IMHO the BEST part of the whole place is a ~15min old film loop of the cooperage. They follow a cooper from picking the lumber all the way through finishing the barrel. Talk about a hand-tool marathon. Absolutely fascinating, I could watch it for hours. And let me tell you if you ever meet an angry cooper, run the other way. Those guys all look like 200lb of solid muscle, half of it biceps.
    -Dan D.