Thread: torn bag - possible fix???

torn bag - possible fix???

Hi all,

Small problem - I recently moved and it appears that I have torn a small hole in my dust collector bag (HF 5 micron fabric top). I don't want to replace it with a canister filter ($$$). Is there a way to darn a fabric bag? The tear is small - about 3/4". I'm not exactly handy with a needle and thread - something I never picked up. Is there an easy fix???

Thanks
    Jon

Is it something where you could try an "iron on" patch? They hold pretty good!
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

Product called Goop. Several variations for different materials. Works pretty good. Available at the BORG.
    If you wrestle with a pig, you both get dirty. The pig loves it!

You and I must have had the same movers. The iron patch sounds like a good fix. I'll get one the next time I'm out near a fabric store.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

I would not expect any type of adhesive patch to stick for long. The dust embedded in the fibers of the used bag would not allow a permanent bond. The only permanent way is to break out a needle an thread and do your best. It doesn't need to look pretty, it's just a DC bag.

Can it be washed prior to applying the patch? (After a thorough cleaning and a couple of pre-rinse / agitation cycles in a bucket....)

Another possibility is purpose-made fabric glue and a patch. My wife uses the stuff to glue up hems and attach stuff to other stuff (sorry for the technical terms there; my sewing vocabulary sucks ).

You can stitch it up and be done with it or iron on a patach and stitch around the edges. That's what we do at work

We send our bags out to get washed once they build up with enough pitch and debris, not sure who does it or what they wash them in but they come back pretty darn clean. They will also sew patches in as necessary, its not pretty but functional.

okay - looks like I better figure out the needle and thread thing.

JP

I'd iron on a strip of a patch from both sides, then add a few stiches to make sure it stays. The stiches don't need to be as tight with the iron on patch. Get one of those curved needles if the tear is at the top, stiching would be easier.

I used staples on my blower/vac bag, but it didn't need to be all that airtight.

You can always replace it with a 1 micron bag from either Highland Woodworking or Rockler. A lot less $$ than a cartridge...
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

Depending on how well the existing bag works and your budget, you could give these folks a call--http://www.americanfabricfilter.com/bags_woodworking.php. I had a top filter from them years ago. It was 1.5 to 2 times the size of the original 30 micron bag. It worked well. remember if the bag gets taut, airflow is being restricted. The bag should stay pretty relaxed.

I went the easy way.... duct tape. If it holds for 6 months and fails I'll probably have my wife sew it for me. I was in a time crunch and lookign through my wifes sewing kit gave me the Heebie Jeebies. I decided to fix it the easy way. Works for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Prouty View Post
    I went the easy way.... duct tape. If it holds for 6 months and fails I'll probably have my wife sew it for me. I was in a time crunch and lookign through my wifes sewing kit gave me the Heebie Jeebies. I decided to fix it the easy way. Works for now.
    Another disciple of Red Green I see. It's temporary unless it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    Another disciple of Red Green I see. It's temporary unless it works.
    exactly.

Jon