Thread: Box Elder Aging

Box Elder Aging

It's been a looooong time since I've started a post here (long story, let's just say fire took the garage that the shop was attached to, the smoke and water took care of the shop, and the ins. co. boarding it up for a month while they did their investigation took care of the tools).

While I was out in the shop giving the newly built photo tent a try and re-taking pictures of some of my favorite older turnings I thought of Alan's box elder finishing question from last week, so I figured I'd compare pics from 4 years ago to today...

This small dish was finished with Minwax WOP and though in a bright room, was never in direct sunlight for any length of time. This has always been one of my favorites as it was one of the first few pieces I did, but wow, does it seem plain now without the added color.

Pics of new pieces to follow

f270567048.jpgbedishcrop.jpgf270563400.jpgbedish2a.jpg
    Pat

Still yet, Pat, a very nice looking bowl! Sorry to hear about all the troubles with the shop, but glad that you are at least taking some pics and apparently back in the "swing" of things, now. Looking forward to seeing more work from you.

Nice looking bowl. At first I wasn't so sure about the foot but after a second look, I really like it...

Sorry to hear about your shop....
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?

Pat, I really hate to hear about your shop. I know it's hard since I am trying to get back started myself from my fire. My tools are still rusted VERY badly. I cleanned some of them up but with no place to store them they just rusted up again. I still have a ways to go but it will come together sooner or later. Are you back up and running yet?
    Donny

I didn't realize the color in box elder would fade away like that. Is there a finish that will prevent that from happening?

Why dont you guys rent a storage container or 2?
    They are cheap and at least your tools are out of the weather while you get things sorted out.
    If you look around you could get ones with doors on both ends.

Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Douglass View Post
    I didn't realize the color in box elder would fade away like that. Is there a finish that will prevent that from happening?
    There is a product that I have heard about but have not yet tried, called Aqua Shield, that is supposed to work well with Box Elder and Holly to maintain the original colors. Aqua Shield is a water base wipe on poly and is made by Velvit Products. For some reason they do not have it listed on their web site. There is a turner in VA, Barbara Gill, that is a dealer for their finishes.

I am planning on getting some Aqua Shield soon for a trial run for this piece that is now drying.

Dale
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday

Really nice looking bowl. Sorry to hear about your shop.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Quote Originally Posted by Donny Lawson View Post
    Pat, I really hate to hear about your shop. I know it's hard since I am trying to get back started myself from my fire. My tools are still rusted VERY badly. I cleanned some of them up but with no place to store them they just rusted up again. I still have a ways to go but it will come together sooner or later. Are you back up and running yet?
    Donny

Yep, I'm back up and running Donny. The fire happened Aug '08 (only a year after I built the shop). The wife and I did all of the work ourselves on the rebuild, as we had on the original shop addition. It was just mentally hard to get motivated to finish things once the basic shell of the garage was back up. It was fun building the shop the first time - a second time just a year later, not so much, but there wasn't much choice as it had to be ripped back to the studs because of the water and smoke damage. The actual garage was a total loss.

Fortunately, my insurance company told me from the outset to claim the tools in the shop so I did without hesitation, especially since all of the rust issues were their fault for not letting me in the shop to get things out for 5 weeks.

It was a long process, but I'm finally out the other end with a better garage than the mid-50's built one I had and what we saved doing the re-build ourselves paid for a new driveway this fall.

Here's the thread I did on the shop when it was first done:
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...Done&highlight=

Not much was changed. I didn't re-do the can lights as I found I never used them and the floor is now a pergo-type laminate as HD no longer carried the el-cheapo parquet I used originally (and would have liked to use again).

Donny, I wish you all the best on getting back up and going. It's not always easy and often frustrating, but there will be an end and sawdust and shavings will be produced aplenty once again
    Pat