Thread: Reading Threads Properly

Reading Threads Properly

This is probably dumb, but I often will be reading a thread, and think that I am thru the thread, only to fine out there are more replies not showing up at the bottom of the original thread. How should I read a thread and be assured that I am reading all replies?

Example: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...er-with-recess

If I scroll completely down, it stops with Jeff's last thread. If I scroll down hybrid, I pick up my last post.
    Last edited by Leo Vogel; 12-18-2010 at 11:50 AM.

Leo,

In Hybrid mode, try clicking "More Replies below current depth" in the tree of messages.
    _Aaron_
    SawmillCreek Administrator

Leo,

The only way I could get that to happen was to change my display mode to "hybrid".

1.The easiest way to see if that is what's causing the problem is to select the "Settings" hot link in the top upper right corner of the screen.

2. When the new window opens up, Under My Settings....under My Account select "General Settings".

3. Scroll down near the bottom under "Thread Display Options" ....a drop down box. Select one of the "Linear" options. I like to use "Linear-Oldest First".....

4. Scroll down to the bottom and select "Save Changes".

Good luck!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Leo,
    Also at the top of each thread on the right hand side you'll see the word "display". Click it, and select "Linear" for your view. For this forum, it is truly the best view by FAR. The hybrid and threaded modes are for when you have a thread and someone replying is JUST talking to a single previous post up above... not really the way SMC works, it's best to read all the replies in sequential order, "linear". Then you just scroll from old to new, then done. In hybrid, you have to follow reply trees down each branch, a LOT of clicking, and guys like me just click any old "post quick reply" on the page while reading in linear mode, so our replies may show up on one branch of the tree, but we really intend them to be on the bottom.

Just switch to linear reading mode, and never change it
    Thread on "How do I pickup/move XXX Saw?" http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=597898

Compilation of "Which Band Saw to buy?" threads http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...028#post692028

Fixed - Thanks to all. It was set on Hybrid.

PS: Wow, did that make a difference. I will enjoy reading the threads even more now.
    Last edited by Leo Vogel; 12-18-2010 at 5:32 PM.