Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Precision Square Advice

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    ....... I have them up to 24",which would have run about $2,000.00 years ago........
    Prices have fallen George - Only $1,047 at Amazon for the 24" 20-series - 0.0001 per 6". The 36" is $2,613. Free shipping w/Prime
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

nvr mind...
    Last edited by Rich Engelhardt; 12-19-2010 at 8:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    Prices have fallen George - Only $1,047 at Amazon for the 24" 20-series - 0.0001 per 6". The 36" is $2,613. Free shipping w/Prime
    I hope that comes with the NIST TraceabilityCertification for that price. If not,,,,,,.
    I have a 6 foot Starrett machine rule that lost it's NIST Cert. Without the NIST Cert, it became a skinny piece of flat stock.
    With Starett you have to be a little bit careful. The initial price with NISTTraceability/ Certification will be very high. The same item without a NIST Cert will be much, much lower.
    It still doesn't detract from the overall quality. Starrett is pretty much the standard

Prashun
    I have a few Incra rules and squares, in addition to two of their Miters,and a drill press table. Incra makes nice stuff, but,,,, It's kind of klugy.
    I haven't been happy with their T-rules at all. There is too much slop in the fit up between parts,and they require constant checking for square.
    I've been using the Groz' squares for machine setups and the Pinnacle triangles for layouts and more exacting setups.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

4. I know that I will catch it for this comment but I have two squares from Stanley that work just fine in the wood shop. Now when I go over to the mill to do precision work I leave the Stanley behind.

What degree of precision are you seeking when using these jointers and planers that warrants such expensive measuring devices?

Don't drop that Starrett whatever you do.

I have several GROZ machinist squares for machine set ups like jointer fences. Fact is most jointer fences don't have micro adjust fences so close to square is all you get best case, and that is more than good enough for wood. If you joint one face in next out for edge glue ups you cancel any error in the fence. For all else, close is good enough. For trisquares I go for starret or pinnacle because their mechanisms move more smoothly, but for basic set up tools the cheep imports are my choice.

This is a wood working forum right...?

I was going to pull the trigger on some starett precision squares when I was getting into tool&die, and forunately my journeyman pointed out that a difference of .0002 runout over 6" between the cheapy and the starett is a moot point.

I'll wager that those would have dialed in their jointers fences to the .0001 with there insanely expensive precision squares lose that extra tolerence in machine vibration, and work piece control...

There has to be something more worth while to spend the extra money on in this hobby, especially considering the unstable dimensional nature of wood.

IF you EVER find an OLD framing square with GROUND,.not chomped edges,buy it!! They used to have accurately ground edges,but now are just chomped out. Of course,a ground square could have been dropped,so be careful.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    I need to get a REAL precision square........
    Prashun - to give you a non-wise-guy answer to your question, I have 2 of the Groz [that others have mentioned]. Very heavy handle, so they will "stand up" on their own without falling over. I don't know the rated tolerance, but they work just fine for setting up jointer fence, etc - well within my "operator skill level" tolerance range when I am using the machines. And, they aren't very pricey. I use them for machine setup, instead of the Starret combo and Starret double I have. I also use them for general layout tasks [tho usually I use whatever I happen to grab off of the tool wall for layout - maybe Groz, maybe Starrett, whatever].
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

As I just remarked recently on a different thread, I don't believe that new Starrett tools are worth the premium. 2 out of three squares I've purchased from them in the past 2 years have been so far out of square as to be visible with the naked eye. Buy a reasonable set of engineer's/machinists squares. For the same or less money as the Starrett's, you'll get a whole set that's way more accurate and reliable. Groz, Gladstone, Lee Valley, or Fowler (in ascending order of price/guaranteed accuracy) are all great bets.

I like the design and usability of Incra and Woodpecker's stuff, but not for master reference gauges. They're very precise when new, but it's just too easy to damage aluminum.
    Last edited by Matt Winterowd; 12-19-2010 at 11:32 AM.

Blog Entries
    Sounds like you may be looking for one tool to do two jobs. You mention setting up jointer fences and the like which would be outside angles. You state you have the plastic squares but cannot do inside angles with them. I have a 4 and 6 inch "no-name" (Lee Valley I think) double squares and use the heck out of them for inside angles. I check for accuracy using a striking knife to make a line, reverse the squares position and strike again. This tells me if I am accurate enough for my woodworking materials.

For machines I have a 1-2-3 block that is very accurate setting 90's but would be tempted to try something like Woodpeckers billet triangle if I didn't use angles other that 45 so much. The bulk of my need for accuracy is in returning to 0 or 90. The 1-2-3 block handles that for me. I have tools for setting machines and tools for working wood. I want my machines as close as I can get. Wood moves so I am a bit more forgiving there ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Winterowd View Post
    As I just remarked recently on a different thread, I don't believe that new Starrett tools are worth the premium.
    I didn't want to be the one to say it, but I'd buy Mitutoyo over new Starrett any day of the week.

Kent,I can't find those 24" squares on Amazon. Were they Starrett or Brown & Sharp?

John,I like OLD Starrett tools.

Kent,I can't find those 24" squares on Amazon. Were they Starrett or Brown & Sharp?

At my last job, the machine shop had an interesting mix of new tools and old tools. When you see them side by side especially, the old Starrett items are just nice and perfect and the new stuff just all seems to be tweaked one way or another.

Here you go........

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=...RE&sort=-price

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    I didn't want to be the one to say it, but I'd buy Mitutoyo over new Starrett any day of the week.
    .........+1