Thread: Grizzly 690 Table Saw Purchase

Grizzly 690 Table Saw Purchase

Hello all...
    Ive read many personal reviews about this saw, being new to woodworking I thought I would at least write alittle about how the purchase went (since i can not comparer it to any other saw to give a true performance write-up).

The purchase
    I live 3 hours from the Grizzly showroom in PA so we drove and picked up the saw.
    On Thursday I called to make sure they had some in stock along with getting alittle info about the size and number of boxes/creates. Customer service was fast and helpful.
    Once at the showroom we looked around alittle and then went to a sales person (it was nice to walk around and not be nagged by any sales people, they said hello and all, but not like typical consumer stores, “they let you be”); before we left for the store I filled “my shopping cart” on the grizzly site and then printed it out and took that with us. Handed the printout to a sales person, he filled out a slip and we then headed to a casher. One disappointing thing was Grizzly does not offer any discount for Veterans or military personal (which we found kind of sad (not just for a discount, but since most store provide this, it seams alittle disrespectful)), but anyway, after paying for the items (bought more then just the table saw), we had to pick up a few of the items in the showroom and then the table saw itself in the warehouse a packing lot away. Everything was fast, after the casher pointed me to the in store pick-up I walked over about 50-60 foot away, I stopped to pee first and as soon as I got to the pick-up counter, my order was there. Gave them my name, signed the paper and off I went, fast and smooth (there was about 10-15 other people in the store, not counting employees). Headed to the warehouse, backed the truck up, went inside, stood at the gate for 1-2mins and a person took my info, told us to pull inside and the saw was already there. He loaded it on to the truck with a forklift, asked if we wanted to all the way against the cab, I said yes, he jumped up in the bed and shimmed it back 2-3 foot and said... wow, this thing is heavy put in the other boxes and that was that, again nice and smooth.

Assemble
    Everything went smooth except for two missing screws (to bolt the switch to the machine (which I could have lost)). I'm not one for directions, but flipped through the manual which seamed to be nice and clear.
    One thing which I found alittle funny, there was an orange mount holding the motor for shipping which needs to be taken off, there is a sticker on the orange bar which say... “this yellow mount must be taken off”, got alittle chuckle out of that.

Along with the saw I got a 37” roll-out table which was the toughest, the templet given for the bolt hole pattern worked well, but to mount the top of the bracket they give you a small piece of flat-stock about 1”x3” with a nut welded on one end and a bolt on the other which seams to be a good idea but the piece of 1” stock is alittle too tall and ran into a jam trying to level the rollers to the saws table. I ended up grinding alittle notch to make some more room for clearance (will take a picture over the next couple days with an update to how the saw is working.).

Applause
    So far everything except for the disappointment.
    Great customer service, sales, casher and warehouse personal.
    Good prises
    Machine seams solid
    Have not done a full fine tuning for level and squareness (but will, been a CNC Machinist for the last 13 years, so it will be tight )
    Have not started it up yet (need to swap out a 220 plug, so gonna hit a box store tomorrow to get a plug and will update this once I cut some wood)

Disappointing
    No Veterans or Military personal discount, not because im cheap (just dropped $1,950), just found it alittle disrespectful.

All and all, I will continue to give grizzly business, this is the second item I bought (first was the the G1030Z2 dust collector (which I have not “fully” used it (got it while it was still on sale), only hooked it to my 13” portable planner and it works great for that, saems like the table saw will be its second machine for now till I get “the shop” really organized, situated and the ductwork run)).

Will update this thread once I use the saw alittle and then will try and update again down the line after I really get use out of it.

Hope this will help someone make a decision in the next purchase.

----------------------------------------------------------

Update (12-19-2010)
    Started up the saw today... wow, it was really quite and smooth. Really did not know what to expect from a saw this size being ive only used job-site table saws, was really amazed on how it ran. Saw is mounted on a shopfox dolly which all four wheels where engaged (didnt spin down the "lock studs"). Ran a couple pieces of pine through it, 1/2x6x20" Ash along with a 3x3x17" piece of hardwood from an "Indian" pallet/create which was shipped to the job i work at (dont know the type of wood yet, still doing research on it, wood is mainly whitish, with irregular black circles/veins (???) - along with some yellow and black blotches). Have some other wood from these creates which seams to be very hard, much harder then red-oak that i will run through it some time. Dont have the time right now to really play with the saw, but in time i will

Ran a couple pieces through with out hooking the dust-collector up, created a bit of a mess on the table top, then ran a few more through with the collector hooked up and it made a pretty big difference - dust did kick up on the table - plan on sealing up the cabinet with some weather stripping around the doors and maybe some duck-tape inside the cabinet where there are seams.

Tossed a square on a piece that I cross cut with the miter, seams square along with the planks being parallel (have not done any “real” checking yet, just with a metal scale and square).

Like said above, i have no prior cabinet saw experience to compare this to, but as of now, im really happy. Been around CNC and manual lathes and mills of different sizes for a long time - this saw is a nice piece of machinery in my opinion; cant wait to get some good use out of it.

_
    Last edited by Joe Watson; 12-19-2010 at 6:21 PM. Reason: updated

Grizzly might have a low profit margin and cannot afford to offer a vet discount. I would hate to see them raise their prices just so that they can cover a vet discount and make someone feel good about it. I respect when a vet discount is offered, but it shouldn't be expected.

Did you strap the saw down for transport? They have a way of jumping out of the back of pickups during transport.

I have the same saw and have been very satisfied with the purchase.

While not a vet, I have three sons - all of whom served in the military. I have great respect for the service provided by our vets. But, in order for a business to continue in operation, it must make a profit. Any demographic discount means those outside that demographic will, in effect, pay an increased price in order to provide the required bottom line. That may seem fair to vets, but may not seem all that fair to the remainder of the customer base.

Glad you otherwise had a good experience with Grizzly, and I suspect you will love the saw!

I hope you didn't pee in the fish pond on your way to the pick-up counter.
    I also got a chuckle on my 0691 with the "color" of the bracket. I have also had very similar experiences whenever picking things up there. I am fortunately only about 40 mins. away. I think you will be very happy with that saw.

Joe, I'm afraid I take issue with you finding the lack of military/veterans discount being disrespectful.

To my mind, expecting military/veterans discount could be seen as being disrespectful to the business. As a 20 year veteran myself, I think that the Service fosters an ethos of modesty and humility. Receiving a military discount or other preferential treatment is a bonus, and should never be an expectation.

Still, it sounds like you're enjoying the saw, and that's what it is all about.

Hey everyone...
    Being this is a woodworking forum and this thread was posted in the tools/projects section, i had no intent on creating a social or business politics thread. Heres my view (have no intent on following this part of the thread anymore – that is not why I started this thread), Grizzly has been around for little less then 25 years (short time span for a tool manufacture of this size), has six locations (four in the US one in Taiwan and another in China (Taiwan and China being offices)), has no shareholders to answer too (could be wrong about that, did a quick search and found no info about Grizzle being a subsidiary or being traded), has a "Free Gift with every on-line order" offer along with pretty good sale prices; no reason they cant offer something (discount in the amount of the sales tax for people who walk in, extra “gift” for on-line, early copy of catalog, gift card for next purchase, day early (or first three hours, etc) for scratch and dent sale – something, does not have to be the typical %10 - just something to show appreciation.

And just for the record, i never said i expected a Vet or Military merit in any sort of way- not sure where that idea came from, sorry if i implied it anywhere, that was not my intent.
    -------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway...
    To the poster above asking about strapping it down while transporting it, we used some rope. Along with the saw i picked up a bench top drill press, saw dolly and roll-out-table - everything was packed in the bed of the tuck pretty good - only concerned was the create/box the saw came in was alittle top heave (saw was boxed in the same position as if you where to us it), but it did not move, tip or shimmy.

The rest of this post is just a copy/paste from the edit/update i just made to the main post of this thread:

Started up the saw today... wow, it was really quite and smooth. Really did not know what to expect from a saw this size being ive only used job-site table saws, was really amazed on how it ran. Saw is mounted on a shopfox dolly which all four wheels where engaged (didnt spin down the "lock studs"). Ran a couple pieces of pine through it, 1/2x6x20" Ash along with a 3x3x17" piece of hardwood from an "Indian" pallet/create which was shipped to the job i work at (dont know the type of wood yet, still doing research on it, wood is mainly whitish, with irregular black circles/veins (???) - along with some yellow and black blotches). Have some other wood from these creates which seams to be very hard, much harder then red-oak that i will run through it some time. Dont have the time right now to really play with the saw, but in time i will

Ran a couple pieces through with out hooking the dust-collector up, created a bit of a mess on the table top, then ran a few more through with the collector hooked up and it made a pretty big difference - dust did kick up on the table - plan on sealing up the cabinet with some weather stripping around the doors and maybe some duck-tape inside the cabinet where there are seams.

Tossed a square on a piece that I cross cut with the miter, seams square along with the planks being parallel (have not done any “real” checking yet, just with a metal scale and square).

Like said above, i have no prior cabinet saw experience to compare this to, but as of now, im really happy. Been around CNC and manual lathes and mills of different sizes for a long time - this saw is a nice piece of machinery in my opinion; cant wait to get some good use out of it.

Thanks for the encouragement from all, hope to get many many cut from this saw down the road.

_

Good writeup, and it sounds like you'll enjoy that saw

I'll pile on, since that's what made me decide to reply: been in the military since 1982, and while I do like it when a store offers a mil/vet discount, I certainly don't expect it. When a company offers a freely given courtesy gift, the lack of that gift is certainly not "disrespectful". In fact, it would be very distasteful to me to observe someone who "expected" this discount as his due, merely because some companies chose to give that honor--it cheapens their sacrifice to expect it, and it's certainly not our right. In fact, I've been a bit surprised at how universal the discount is after 9/11, but have often thought that there are so many other groups equally deserving of such a token of respect for their daily sacrifices and risks taken for our society... first responders, firefighters, police... granted only the mil folks get uprooted from their homes/lives and sent far away to risk life with no say in it, but I'm certainly aware enough of the sacrifices others make to take the discount with humility.
    Just one view, and I know you just threw that in there as a side comment, but it struck a chord with several others too it seems, no offense intended.
    Thread on "How do I pickup/move XXX Saw?" http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=597898

Compilation of "Which Band Saw to buy?" threads http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...028#post692028