Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: woodturning smock info

woodturning smock info

Does anybody have a source for reasonably priced smocks for woodturning?I've lookied around a little but the so called woodturning smocks seem a little high. Maybe I don't have a choice but I thought I'd check with the large group assembled here.
    Greg

I just came across this, if some don't think it practical then at least they should get a chuckle. http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...g2.html?cat=24
    Success is the sum of Failure and Learning

I have never owend a smock, mostly due to laziness and being cheap. I have been using my older smooth cotton shirts, long and short sleeved as the season dictates. They have frayed collars, frayed cuffs, and assorted stains or blemishes. On some I take the pocket off, but others I just leave alone. \Having a pocketful of chips at days end is a nuisance..... not having a pocket is a nuisance. So, I have good days, and better days.

I just ordered a green smock from this company http://www.lovellworkwear.com/woodturningsmocks.htm

I have not received it yet, but with my name embroidered, it was about $62.00 including shipping. I'll let you know how I like it.

I go to the local second hand store and find old nylon windbreaker type jackets. They usually zip up pretty tight around the neck, the nylon sheds the shavings and dust pretty well, and they're cheap. Not to mention the fashionable look.

I don't use a smock or anything special to turn it. I did but a woodworking apron a while back, but dont like the thing hanging off my neck and tied around my waist. My wife has chewed me out on several occations because a large majority of my t-shirts are ruined with BLO splatter or stain or CA dried up on them! I need to designate a couple shirts as "turning shirts" and call it good. The chips and stuff don't bother me that much. A quick squeeze of the air hose gets the shavings off.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

I bought a AAW turning smock and like it a lot. I forget what the price was but around the $40 range. Keeps the chips out of my neck, pockets, and finish off me so the LOML is happier.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Weishapl View Post
    I bought a AAW turning smock and like it a lot. I forget what the price was but around the $40 range. Keeps the chips out of my neck, pockets, and finish off me so the LOML is happier.
    The AAW smock is $40 if you are a member and $50 if you are not a member plus shipping on either price.

I got this one from Rocklers for xmas last year. Works quite well especially for $20...
    bill...
    http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...urners%20apron
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bill Bolen; 12-18-2010 at 1:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Fuller View Post
    I go to the local second hand store and find old nylon windbreaker type jackets. They usually zip up pretty tight around the neck, the nylon sheds the shavings and dust pretty well, and they're cheap. Not to mention the fashionable look.
    +1 to the thrift shop. For 2.99 I got a very styin glossy jet black nylon windbreaker to go over the winter sweaters. In lieu of embroidery, I have some especial blue painter's tape and a sharpie for that social turning occasion, or 1 off youtube offering!

Thanx to all that answered,I went to the AAW website and tried to join several times to no avail,tried to pay non-member price and could not get into the site so I went looking through my old! clothes and found an old windbreaker that probably looked bad in High School and proceeded to modify to my needs.Then my MIL who lives near the local Woodcraft was sent on a mission for my wife found one there on sale for ??? and picked it up for my wife.I will let you know how it is on Christmas day.
    Thanx again,
    Greg

Thanx to all that answered, tried the AAW website and could not get in this morning so went down to the basement and started looking through the old jackets and found an old nylon wind breaker that probably looked bad in High School.It will work for the time beeing.My MIL called,she lives near the closest Woodcraft,and had been sent on a mission by my wife.I believe she found one and I will get to see it on Christmas.Thanx again,
    Greg

Hi Greg,

It's odd that you should ask. This fall I had the same need. I was going to wait and pick one up at Woodcraft in St. Louis the next time I was there. In the mean time, I was shopping, with my bride, at a big chain store whose home office is in Arkansas. They had a lined nylon jacket with a stand up collar, zipper slash pockets, and elastic cuffs. I think I gave less that $20 for it. Anyhow, that is my new winter turning jacket.

Bob Haverstock

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bender View Post
    Does anybody have a source for reasonably priced smocks for woodturning?I've lookied around a little but the so called woodturning smocks seem a little high. Maybe I don't have a choice but I thought I'd check with the large group assembled here.
    Greg

The wife of one of our club members at the East Texas Woodturners posts the following advert in our monthly newsletter:

For Sale: Woodturning Aprons – Made of
    material that sheds those pesky shavings -
    $25.00. Please contact Kay Leonard at 903-
    592-6009 or at kayl99417@gmail.com

I have one of these and it really works well. Has velcro fastenings at the neck and waist.

I like a sweatshirt,I think the smocks look like a straight jacket and about a comfortable.