Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Afraid of heights? Yowza

Quote Originally Posted by Garrett Ellis View Post
    That video looked like they took an elevator all the way up.. or did they just edit out all the climbing parts?

Most 2000' TV towers have elevators inside them, and this tower probably had one.

This is the first time that I've ever seen a gin pole with an elevator though (not a bad idea). Also, it's unusual to remove one antenna before the replacement antenna is on site. Typically you would want the replacement antenna to be on site, electrically verified (to catch any problems that could have arisen during transportation), and rigged ready to be lifted, before removing the old antenna.

The audio stated that they took an elevator up to about 1600 ft, but after that it was climbing.

My orifices puckered watching that..
    I wear my mind on my sleeve; I have a history of losing my shirt! -BNL
    A woman's work is never done-but power tools help!

I noticed the loose fitting leather gloves - that alone made me cringe. I would never where anything like them if I was relying on a solid grip.
    Sent from the bathtub on my Samsung Galaxy(C)S5 with waterproof Lifeproof Case(C), and spell check turned off!

I'd drink a glass of Drano before I'd climb that thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Scott T Smith View Post
    Most 2000' TV towers have elevators inside them, and this tower probably had one.

This is the first time that I've ever seen a gin pole with an elevator though (not a bad idea). Also, it's unusual to remove one antenna before the replacement antenna is on site. Typically you would want the replacement antenna to be on site, electrically verified (to catch any problems that could have arisen during transportation), and rigged ready to be lifted, before removing the old antenna.

Keep in mind its off a TV show--probably edited to sound more exciting than it was.

I ain't afraid of nuttin, (on YouTube).
    The Plane Anarchist