Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How loud is the Jet AFS-1000B air filter?

How loud is the Jet AFS-1000B air filter?

I have to be very cautious of how much noise I make woodworking because our home is attached on both sides to the neighbors'.

I've also become keenly aware that my dust collection is not good enough - I've started to get the bad case of the sniffles when sanding or doing a lot of cutting, etc.

I'm in the process of setting up a permanent DC system but figure I also need something to improve overall air quality in the shop. The 1000B seems to be the ticket, but since it would be running constantly, I'm wondering how loud the thing is. Anyone have a rough db reading on it or can compare it to other tools, noises?

Victor - my unit is not loud. Even on high, probably not louder than a window fan. Much the same sound.

Victor, same here. On the highest setting I can hold a conversation (with myself ). The unit itself is very very quiet. The noise I hear is the air moving...ya know that whooshing sound

Regards

George

Yup, not loud at all. Mine is one of the quietest pieces of equipment in the shop.

I leave mine on low while I'm in the shop and most of the time don't even notice it running. The only real noise on high is from the air movement.

I agree with all the previous posts. I run mine on high in a very small basement shop. Kitchen directly above, no noise issues at all. John

Mine is quiet also...however as the filter gets dirty, it seems to run a bit louder. It works out great so then I notice to change the filter.

Very quiet, you can run it in background, just like an oscillating fan or quieter.
    Thread on "How do I pickup/move XXX Saw?" http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=597898

Compilation of "Which Band Saw to buy?" threads http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...028#post692028

On high speed it sounds about as loud as a forced air furnace fan. After all, the blower inside is just a squirrel cage furnace fan.

What about vibration noise from it being mounted to a ceiling? Does it vibrate enough to be louder when mounted directly rather than being hung? I am considering getting one, but my daughter's room is directly above where it would be and I don't want her to be able to her it up there if possible.

Well,

I'd consider mine to be fairly loud at high speed - annoying at the very least. Kind of like the above the range microwave fans - not bad at low and not something you want to hear at the fastest setting.

But at medium and low speed, no issues.

Julian

Mine is hung in the basement/garage. I can hear a low hum and feel a bit of vibration just above the unit, kind of like being in the next room with the clothes dryer running. Mine is suspended by chain. I suspect that most of the vibration could be eliminated by using nylon webbing or perhaps heavy duty bunjies. I'm pretty sure that direct-mounting to the ceiling would result in noticeable vibration and noise as the vibration would travel directly into the ceiling joists.

I want to say FWW recently did a review of similar units from a number of manufacturers and JDS was highly rated. They had numerical dB measurements for each...

I have the Jet AFS 1000 for my sewing shop and a Jet AFS 1500 for my home garage.

On low you can barely hear the AFS 1000. I'd compare them to a $10-20 box fan on low to medium setting. Or a 2.0 sone or less bathroom ventilation fan.

Medium was not much louder than on the lowest setting. When I turn mine on HIGH however, it adds a "hum" noise rather than the soft sound of air turbulence.

If you turn the AFS 1500 on high setting, it's like having aone of those carpet drying air movers on in your room... Or like a 1HP dust collector... In other words, it's loud but it moves a ton of air.

Victor,
    Mine is not loud at all...about three feet above my head in my at-work workshop(12'x8'). On high speed, the machinery outside my soundproofed 6" walls still drowns out the filter fan. Running now BTW.
    Mick