Thread: Shopping for a new Drill Press/and maybe a beginning lathe - Help!

Shopping for a new Drill Press/and maybe a beginning lathe - Help!

All

My old HF drill press is in need of replacement, and I have run into the time in my WW life where a small lathe might be handy. Building tools handles, maybe some small table chair legs, etc. I need some wisdom and guidance. All should be available on Amazon, as my purchasing power comes in the form of Amazon gift cards. (Unless someone wants to purchase some Amazon gift codes from me)

My paramters:
    1. Lathe

I am very new to turning and this would be my first lathe. I would need to purchase tools and expect to not turn anything over 18", but want to have the capacity to grow. Most of my work would tie back to flatwork at some point. Not sure I am ready to true the vortext out . But I can see the projects coming that will require some lathe work, and after recently turning some vise handles, I found it a lot of fun.

I am looking at the following ones:

Steel City Tool Works 60170G Granite 5 Speed Mini Lathe

SHOP FOX W1752 Mini Wood Lathe

<H1 class=parseasinTitle>PSI Woodworking TCLC10VS Commander 10-Inch Variable Speed Midi Lathe

</H1>Any other thoughts or ideas, including beginning tool set advice is welcome.

2. Drill Press

I dont think I need a floor standing model, but I definately need more that 6" of depth that I have now. That said, a floor model would be ok, if necessary. I might just have to make a reversible mortiser/drill press station as I have a mortiser and love already. Which of these would be best for the average hobbiest woodworker that will last awhile as well? Are there other suggestions you might have?

I have been looking at 4 in particular.

DELTA DP300L 12-Inch TwinLaser Crosshair Drill Press
    SHOP FOX W1670 1/2-Horsepower Floor Radial Drill Press
    SHOP FOX W1669 1/2-Horsepower Benchtop Radial Drill Press
    Rikon 30-200 13-Inch Floor Drill Press

Thanks in advance

Brent

Sawdust is some of the best learning material!

I am the very happy owner of the Steel City 17" drill press with laser. It was more expensive than I planned to spend, but it will (should) be the last drill press I'll ever own. The 6" quill stroke is great. The laser was something I thought I wouldn't need or use often, but I find it to be a great tool, expecially for repetitive cuts. It sits on a moveable base. I bought mine at Woodcraft in Dublin, CA a couple of years ago.

http://www.amazon.com/Steel-City-205...9&sr=8-1-spell

I'm not a turner (yet) so can't give any advise on lathes. I'm interested to see what you choose.

Brent, regarding the lathe you might want to post a thread in the Turners forum, but first I would suggest you do a search of that forum. There are literally dozens of similar threads, and the responses are pretty standard - it is going to depend on what type of turning you desire to do. When you say 18" I assume you are talking about the length. Most turners speak in terms of "swing" and that determines the maximum diameter you can turn, and more defines the lathe possibilities. If all you want to do is spindle turning with a max length of 18", there are a lot of entry level lathes that will work fine, the Delta 46-460 being one of the ones that gets mentioned a lot. The Rikon midi is also very popular. Just some thoughts.

......................... but I definately need more that 6" of depth that I have now.
    I'm assuming that you are describing the distance from the drill bit to the column. If that is case I'd set your sights a little higher. That 6" equates to a 12" swing- The Delta would offer no advantage and the Rikon little (1/2") to your current drill press. If I've assumed wrong (not the first time ), as Emily Litella used to say, "Never mind".

If it were me I'd buy a little more drill press than you think you need. I didn't and wish I had especially now that the funds to replace it don't exist at the moment. It (a Delta DP300) works as designed but I came up against it limitations in swing, quill travel, power, and lack of slower speed ranges quickly. An 18-900L is on my wish list. Merry Christmas!