Thread: Bow/Frame Saw Tension and Fundamentials

Bow/Frame Saw Tension and Fundamentials

So, it seems there has been some debate regarding nomenclature about saws that consist of three pieces of wood, one blade and a bit of twine, cord or something similar. I've just finished my first (what I would call a) bow saw, as in two vertical "outside" members, one horizontal member, a blade with suitable holdings and a piece of string twisted to tighten up the whole contraption.

As I start to twist the "string" to tighten the blade, at what point do I stop...i.e. how tight should the blade be stretched and how do I know I have reached that point? I'm sorry if this is totally obvious to everyone but this is my first saw of this type and I'd appreciate some guidance.

TIA

Here's how Frank Klausz does it.
    bowsaw_3.JPG

Here's the article:
    http://www.popularwoodworking.com/ar...Bowsaw_Basics/

This might sound goofy, but tighten the blade as tight as you need to tighten it for the saw to work properly.

Meaning tight enough so that it cuts true and stays set (the blade doesn't turn in the frame while you're working).

String will work but I think thin rope is better. It costs about $3 at Home Depot for a hundred feet. Works great and doesn't take as many twists to get the tension.