Thread: Christmas Gift - Toilet Seat Electric Guitar

Christmas Gift - Toilet Seat Electric Guitar

Telecrapper, Johnny-Rocker, Poo-caster, Stratocrapper, Fannypack, Eric Crapton signature, The Hamerrhoid, Less Paul American Standard, Gibson #2 ...whatever you want to call it, I’d think twice about doing a guitar lick on this thing!

Had some fun piddlin around in the shop this week. This is a Christmas gift for my younger kids. They watched me build a real guitar for their older brother last summer, and made several comments about wanting a guitar too. The problem is that none of them play, so it’s hard to justify the time and money of building a nice guitar…the Poo-caster was just the ticket. Guitar builds don’t get much simpler than this….one pickup wired straight to a jack. We already had the neck, the pickup, and saddle, so I only had to buy the tuning pegs, toilet seat, strings, and a jack cover. Fitting the seat, and spacing the bridge saddle and neck are the most critical parts, and I wasn’t overly fussy about it. I’ve probably got 4 hours and ~ $40 into it. I just got it strung and fired up this week, and it seems to work fine. Still need to add a strap. We’re going to wrap it in toilet paper and put it under the tree. It’s a far cry for fine woodworking, but hopefully they will all have a good time with this.

The build:
    This was about as simple as an electric guitar can get. I bought a cheap wood veneered toilet seat (the wood is "poo-dook" IIRC ), removed the hardware and spacers, split the seat, and located the neck and saddle, then mounted them to the inside of the seat cover. I wired the pickup directly to the output jack (no knobs), and used an inverted Strat style jack cover bent over the space where the seat splits. You guessed it....the finish is wiping varnish, and yes, boys have to put the seat up to play, and there will be a line for the girls to use it on busy nights.

Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

I love it!! I bet that will be a Christmas story that will be told long after you are gone. "Remember the time..........."
    If you wrestle with a pig, you both get dirty. The pig loves it!

Ooh....a bemiscaster...as long as it intonates and the action is good, nothing smells funny about that!

That's amazingly clever!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Brilliant...I wish I had thought of that. When I first saw the title, I thought perhaps it was an electric guitar for playing on the potty. Guess you could do that too.

Angie

Thumbs up Here's the follow up from Christmas Day

I'd say the project was a hit at our house. It got played nearly non-stop by someone all day and evening. We wrapped it up in toilet paper, and gave them a portable battery powered mini amp to open first. They weren't sure what to make of the amp until we handed them the wrapped guitar. They could tell it was a guitar right away, but the look of bewilderment when they unwrapped it was a priceless, then the grins began as they realized exactly what they were holding.

The two older boys already have electric and acoustic guitars, so this was supposed to be for the 3 younger kids, but they had a lot of competition getting a turn to play! There were a lot of renditions of the intros of “Smoke On The Water” and “Iron Man” going on! I don't have any sound clips, but it really doesn't sound too bad when played on the real amp.

Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

That is just too cool Scott.

lol... great!
    Thread on "How do I pickup/move XXX Saw?" http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=597898

Compilation of "Which Band Saw to buy?" threads http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...028#post692028

Pure genius!!! I wish my real guitar builds were as nice. Just what every traveling musician needs. I can't wait to show this to my 17 year-old shredder.

This has got to be one in a million for sure ...
    Usually busier than a cat in a sand box